Fedora Core 5

It's more of waiting for them to release an official kernel update because the ones you are using are still testing. THen Livna.repo will have all the ntfs/nvidia/blah modules for the kernel.

2.6.16-1.2088_FC6 <--- I'm running that for example B)

I would prefer to use my whole system while in any linux, but I do not want to sacrifice my video. (It looks really good right now!) So, I need a kernel that will also work with nvidia, along with ntfs. I already know that ~2074 does have ntfs but no nvidia. :wall:

In cyber's second section where the kmod is built, the routine craps out asking for kernel sources matching 2.6.16-1.2069_FC5. This morning found ~2074. I can't locate ~2069. or I would simply use that kernel/sources and be done with this.

Ah, I found it, 69 is now in update-testing

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedo...testing/5/i386/

You could get rid of daves kernels, cause soon they will mix in with some debugging and other stuff and just run a kernel from update-testing.

However you have 2074 now, so its harder to go backwards :)

Also, if you want to test by using update-testing, livna has there testing repo that keeps the kernel stuff in sync

http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/testing/5/

So nvidia is not a yum

# cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
# vi fedora-updates-testing.repo
change the first one to enabled=1

yum update kernel kernel-devel

reboot

should be 2069

# uname -r

2.6.16-1.2069_FC5

For livna stuff

# rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm

# vi livna-testing.repo
change the first one to enabled=1

# yum install kmod-nvidia-$(uname -r)
# /usr/sbin/nvidia-config-display enable
# init 3; init 5 or init 6(to reboot)

This is only if you want to use "Testing Stuff", however, this is not rawhide(devel) but what will be pushed to regular updates if they are no complaints after a certian mount of time.

I'm running with ~2069 right now, but what I think I'll do is install ~2074 and not use it until I see the kmod for nvidia show up. Then, I'll dump ~2069 and run the newer kernel. Whatever kernel is in the system, the software manager gui shows available choices. But, no kernel, no choices. So, I need to install a kernel, even if I don't use it, just to get the choices to show.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have my desktop running nvidia and accessing ntfs with the 2080 kernel. (whew)

A nice distro but way too much effort for a user just coming from windows. The problem is that the kmod's are running significantly behind ther kernels. Or, perhaps I have my sources configured wrong. But without hunting, I could only access the 2084 kernel, which does not as yet have the kmods available that I need. I finally manually looked for the 2080 kernel and went backwards to it so that I could have my machine do what I wanted it to do. Now for my laptop.

A nice distro but way too much effort for a user just coming from windows.
Agreed. I'd never recommend any bleeding-edge distro to a newcomer to Linux. They would only be frustrated. :D