Firmware for Speedtouch 330 modem on Mandriva 2006

Krazee Monkee

Just one quick question....

It says in the instructions on page http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/mandrake/index.html that the mgmt.o file sometimes works better on revision 0 models (which mine may be).

Do I just put the mgmt.o file (extracted from Speedmgmt.tar.gz) in /lib/hotplug/firmware (and do i need to extract it or make it executable?) as it directs you to do with the extracted firmware(speedtch1.bin and speedtch2.bin extracted from file Speedtouch330_firmware_3012.zip) or does it need to be placed in /usr/devices as it says when I try to configure the modem with the Mandriva network configure tool?

I can just use the trial and error method I have been using so far to find out I guess but I'm a little wary as I'm starting to wonder if the previous Mandriva network configuration attempts together with a different Speedtouch configuration program attempt may be causing problems for the instructions and scripts I am now using. All I know is there are some files flashing in RED in my directories which never used to be there - lol - and I think they are asking me to resolve a conflict. If only I could....

Quote:

"One day I'll look back at all this and laugh long and hard....

by Tommy - 31st March 2006"

Edited by Krazee Monkee

but I'm a little wary as I'm starting to wonder if the previous Mandriva network configuration attempts together with a different Speedtouch configuration program attempt may be causing problems for the instructions and scripts I am now using.

They very well could be. It would be best to choose a single method and stick to it.

I reinstalled Mandriva and followed the instructions from http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/mandrake/index.html. There was no error messages when eth0 was connecting at boot this time but the modem lights failed to flash because the firmware binary (firmware-extractor last time) itself had been corrupted. I used a different copy of the firmware on the floppy and this time the files extracted properly

I rebooted and just as modem lights finished flashing/verbose boot list had finished and it was a millisecond away from starting the KDE DE, everything froze totally (unable to even enter RAW mode[Alt+Sys Rq+r]).

I restarted manually ( (:-( ) and went back in safe mode and removed the speedtouchtch files from /lib/hotplug/firmware and rebooted and everything was fine. However, I remembered that every time I had used kwrite to amend/add script, when I closed kwrite after saving etc. and wemt back to the terminal window, the text in the terminal window kept scrolling (mainly error/warning messages for almost every application by the looks of it) and I had to close terminal and re open to carry on in terminal. I therefore changed the DE to GNOME and tested it doing the above procedures and found kwrite did not produce the same problem when I closed it this time. I also re installed the firmware succesfully and restarted properly.

Unfortunately - at exactly the same point (on initiation of DE) there was another complete freeze.

I restarted and opened windows which did exactly the same thing when (after achieving the desktop) I selected my dialler and tried to connect. It did this several times before allowing me to connect and then freezing at random points. Without my changing anything (except several manual restarts) Windows seems to have become pretty stable again (hence I am able to write this ;-) ).

Do you think this is a problem with linux or with the instructions I am using?

Thanx

Tommy

Do you think this is a problem with linux or with the instructions I am using?

I don't really know what you mean by it being a problem with linux, the problem could be caused by the Mandriva kernel doing something different to what the instructions were written for I suppose.

TBH, it might be worth looking at getting a combined ADSL modem/router that connects via ethernet.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It turns out that Bulldog use PPPoA not PPPoE (like on mobile networks).

Re-installed Mandriva - followed the instructions and made a directory (mkdir /etc/rc.d/init.d/shorewall) when it says use mv /etc/rc.d/init.d/shorewall /etc/rc.d/init.d/shorewall.old and says file does not exist. I also had to remove the "#" from DEBUG in /etc/ppp/peers/speedtch with kwrite.

Yee Ha

Tommy