FTP Server [solved]

cm2k

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me, I am trying to install an FTP Server on Mandriva 10.1 and am having a lot of difficulty. I have tried installing ProFTPD and WUFTP and I either get a failure message, or it asks for lots of dependancies that I cannot track down.

Can anybody recommend an easy to use, secure FTP Server and the best way to install it?

Please be gentle I a Linux newbie :lol2:

Edited by cm2k

The usual painless way is

urpmi proftpd

or

urpmi yourftpserver (you name it here).

The Mandriva way to install software is definitely urpmi, and you should get used to it, including setting repositories.

An FTP server needs a usable configuration to start. While most people prefer ssh and manual config, a guie'd approach is perrectly feasible:

urpmi gproftd

is a nice proftpd frontend, quite easy to handle, while

urpmi webmin

will bring you a http based remote administration environment, which includes modules for many Linux FTP servers, either as standard modules or as addon ones.

And of course, on Linux the safest, fastest, most modern and most secure way for filetransfers is ssh2/ sftp, which is also pretty easy to handle.

A windows client who want access to your sftp server can do it easily and freely with PuTTy, Filezilla, WinSCP and several other client solutions.

One of the other ways I've used to configure ftp servers on Mandrake/Mandriva is with the wizards. First:

urpmi drakwizard

and then after this, go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer and then under one of the options you'll find a wizard for configuring the FTP Server. This normally uses proftpd as the default, and works well. I use it on my computer at home.

If you're still having dependency problems after this, it could be because your urpmi sources aren't configured correctly. Use the easyurpmi link at the top of this page to create your repositories for main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates.