Mandriva and the others ...

fahd

> add more innovation, stability and ease of use in future releases.

Arctic,

how do you think it's possible to combine innovation and stability apart from in the manager's talk :) ?

I though those were kinda complementary things, the In and the Yan of an operation system. If you get more of one, you're certainly to give up some of the otther.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, one thing they could have done by now is ship e.g. a newer Xorg (especially after all the problems some people had with Mandrivas Xorg), a newer kernel (Kernel updates are rare imho) and a new look (Galaxy is dated). That ain't so hard, is it? ;)

Then more stability: Could be fixed by putting more detail to the built packages. That is primarily what I expect from a distro. Firefox crashed on all boxes I had with Mandriva 2006 on a regular basis and no, no firefox updates that fix this problem. What are those guys doing? Drinking coffee all the time and getting at each others throat instead of fixing those bugs? I dunno, but this is the impression that I am slowly getting. :juggle:

And another thing is weird: Gnome 2.12 is in Cooker, ready for the public since a long, long time. Still it ain't available for "normal users". Not a good decision imho.

They can improve a lot of things, if they only want to...

a newer Xorg (especially after all the problems some people had with Mandrivas Xorg)

IIRC, they did update Xorg. But they don't do version updates in one release. That is, you won't see 7.0 until 2007 if at all, and 6.9 is the same anyways - just not modularized.

a newer kernel (Kernel updates are rare imho)

They atleast do security releases on these, but I'm pretty sure they do kernel updates within a version - you just have to explicitly update it.

and a new look (Galaxy is dated).

galaxy isn't dated, it's just ugly :P

Gnome 2.12 is in Cooker, ready for the public since a long, long time. Still it ain't available for "normal users".

this is partially to blame on their point release cycle. if it's not stable when they start developing a new release, they usually don't include it in said release.

My point is mainly that the problem is due to their chosen release plan, other distros have the same issues. Basically, they sacrifice having the latest stuff for stability. Considering the stability problems they have now...I'd hate to see them go to a rolling release!

They atleast do security releases on these, but I'm pretty sure they do kernel updates within a version - you just have to explicitly update it.
No, they release only patched kernels. Try to find a 2.6.15 kernel for Mandriva. There ain't one. I still have MDV2006 on one of my lappies and I needed to upgrade my kernel due to a dma bug in the original kernel and no, it is still kernel 2.6.12, although a patched 2.6.12.
galaxy isn't dated, it's just ugly :P
Okay, dated AND ugly.

No, they release only patched kernels. Try to find a 2.6.15 kernel for Mandriva. There ain't one. I still have MDV2006 on one of my lappies and I needed to upgrade my kernel due to a dma bug in the original kernel and no, it is still kernel 2.6.12, although a patched 2.6.12.

well, to be completely honest, i haven't used mandriva in some time other than base installs to see any changes to the tools they provide.

I have used Mandriva 2006.0 for 6 months now and I have not experienced problems. I don´t use Firefox and have uninstalled Kat immidiately but that hardly explains why I have so little problems. I´ve most of the things a ´normal´user has (webcam, digicam, joystick, tablet, scanner/printer, tv card, remote control etcetc) and everything just works. Further Mandriva is fast. I can start Openoffice in 2 seconds. I can build xmame from source in 20 minutes.

The fact that Mandriva now has a yearly release schedule is in my opinion a sign of maturity. There isn´t much that needs changing. New features in newer kernels can just be bakported to 2.6.12 (most distros anyway don´t ship with stock kernels) and new software can easily be updated trough updates (urpmi makes that so easy :) )

Devries, I wish Mandriva 2006 would be that stable on my boxes as on yours. I guess this release simply does not like my hardware for whatever reason (2005 was working way better on my boxes... Maybe I am just too noob for proper configuration and stabilization of my machines. :) ). Let's see what 2007 will bring. I hope that it won't be that problematic for me.

Gnome 2.12 is in Cooker, ready for the public since a long, long time. Still it ain't available for "normal users".

this is partially to blame on their point release cycle. if it's not stable when they start developing a new release, they usually don't include it in said release.

GNOME 2.12 (stable) packages are available to club members, but not for the normal free user! Again another ploy to get money from people with a sting in the tail, in that these club packages are not supported!

I would probably give Mandy a spin again at some time, but purely for academical reasons.

Everything in my distro of choice (Arch Linux) is so darn simple, comprehensible and stable/functional, that it takes a guy with certain SM tendencies to get back to half-baked GUI's, unprovoked gaping bugs and RPM hell.

Sorry to say, Mandy was great for as long as our relationship has lasted, but at its current status it's just way too messed up to be taken seriously.

What is that rpm hell you are talking about? I haven't had any problems with that since I found out that there are other than only the official repos years ago.

In fact I prefer rpm over debian and source.

Edited by solarian

I had a look at Arch Linux just now but correct me if I´m wrong but they don´t seem to have a network install option. I always install Mandriva without burning CDRoms. These days with fast internet connections it´s just environmental pollution to install from CDs.

PS Their mission statement about providing the best software doesn´t seem to include their installer: it looks very dated and compared to Mandrivas installer hopelessly inadequate.

Arch 0 - Mandriva 2

I had a look at Arch Linux just now but correct me if I´m wrong but they don´t seem to have a network install option. I always install Mandriva without burning CDRoms. These days with fast internet connections it´s just environmental pollution to install from CDs.

You can install from FTP, and if you looked at the wiki, I've published instructions on how to install from the net from within another distro or liveCD.

PS Their mission statement about providing the best software doesn´t seem to include their installer: it looks very dated and compared to Mandrivas installer hopelessly inadequate.

That's because theres a new one in development from scratch for 0.8 right as we speak, and has been for a while.It's definitely a priority at the moment. The look wont change. It'll still be curses based, but the functionality will be just as good as any installer.

Arch 0 - Mandriva 2

Judging a distro by it's installer. No comment :)

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

Apart from this board, the two things that keep me coming back to mandriva are font rendering and plf. On my hardware, no distro I've tried, and I've tried a lot, can render fonts as good as mandriva; they are just beautiful IMHO. Slackware is almost as good but anything debian based is terrible on my system. And I've tried everything I could find to tweak the font rendering in kanotix and other debians to no avail. If you're staring at a monitor for any length of time, crappy fonts can really get on your nerves. Also, the selection of packages in the legal grey area from plf is simply awesome, especially in the multimedia areas like video, dvd authoring/ripping/copying/viewing, codecs, etc.. Plf makes mandriva so convenient that it is hard to leave; without it I would have left long ago.