Mandriva and the others ...

fahd

iphitus is right, you can't judge a distro just by it's installer.

I personally like Mandriva's installer and think it's one of the best parts of the distro. It's easy to use, it's worked on every box I've ever installed it on and it only takes me 20 - 30 minutes. I really like diskdrake which I've found to be the best partitionioning tool around. Some swear by Anaconda and I don't care for it at all.

With Gentoo it takes me about 24 hours to do complete install on a P4, 3.2 ghz box. But I enjoy a Gentoo install more. It's more of a challenge. I find it fun and don't mind it at all even tho most people complain about all the compiling and install time. But I do it from a chroot environment so I have no downtime at all.

My point is that it's really a matter of preference and different people are going to have different opinions of what is best or not. And it's not just installers it's distros as a whole. There is no wrong or right. Besides we all use Linux and that's the most important thing. :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Mandiva's installer kicks some serious butt. Too bad it has nothing particularly useful to install... :P

I agree that Arch's installer isn't good: From the base ISO booting to finishing a base install I need seven minutes, which is about the time the Mandriva installer needs to load its second screen...

From the base ISO booting to finishing a base install I need seven minutes, which is about the time the Mandriva installer needs to load its second screen...

Don't be overdramatic, I've installed Mandriva in 12 minutes.

p.s. I'm now on FC5 and like its' font rendering quite much, on pars with Mandriva. And I agree about fonts looking ugly on Debian based systems, but maybe it's because of my graphics card or something else.. (I've got Radeon 9000)

What is that rpm hell you are talking about?

Just one example I wanted to install the openoffice-hu package and rpmdrake wanted to install 411M from dependencies including nvu I don't know why. Though it's maybe Mandriva specific since they are always removing the Sun java dependencies from OOo.