My other favorite Linux distro is

ilia_kr

My other favorite Linux distro:  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite linux distro (except Mandriva)?

• (K)Ubuntu
    • Fedora Core
    • SuSe
    • Gentoo
    • Arch
    • Debian
    • Slackware
    • Free/Net/OpenBSD
    • other...

Since this forum is my main source for Linux knowlage and i'm willing to install some other distro, i'm curious what else do people like (except mandriva). Please pick only one disto that you like the most and explain why, so i could learn from your choises.

Thanks.

I voted Gentoo. This is mainly because it was effectively my second distro I tried/tested and learnt to use.

Emerge is brilliant, and the way you can change USE flags to change the way emerge installs the applications and the features you can activate with it. Much better than manually downloading and compiling source apps with the long command line install parameters :P

I've only just started using Arch, so couldn't really vote this at this stage. It does seem pretty good though so far.

I voted fedora. I have tried numerous distros, from Gentoo to Slackware, from SUSE to Mandriva, from Debian to Ubuntu to some obscure distros. I found out that I tend to recreate the feel and behaviour of Fedora on allmost all distros I used. Stupid, eh? I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I started with Red Hat. Your first distro is always something special and quite often, people will go back to their roots. Mine are Red Hat / fedora, so... you know...

I do have some spare partitions for playing around with other distros, but my main distro is and will be fedora, especially now, as fc5 was released. I might write a small review on it someday, when I have tested it thoroughly.

Go for it arctic! I enjoyed your FC4 review, which sparked me to install it myself :P

I forgot to mention, my first distro was Mandrake, which is prob why I have it as my number one.

I voted for Debian because I thiink it acts as a great base for other things.

I left RH because of the glibc2 fiasco and went to Mandrake which kept me happy for a while...

I should really try FC ... I just keep looking at too many distro's but I always seem to come back to a Debian base like kanotix or kubuntu?

I voted Fedora Core,

just installed FC5 (my first FC) and it has been running for less than 2 hours, but I already love it.

I've also tried other distros, like (K)Ubuntu, Mepis, Kanotix (hd install), Knoppix, and some 3 obscure ones who's names I don't remember (one was based on Slackware),

but they all just didn't feel quite right. :D

p.s. My first distro was Mandrake 9.1

Edited by solarian

I found out that I tend to recreate the feel and behaviour of Fedora on allmost all distros I used. Stupid, eh?
Will Yoper look like Fedora now?
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I started with Red Hat. Your first distro is always something special and quite often, people will go back to their roots. Mine are Red Hat / fedora, so... you know...
Well my first was Debian Potato. I could install it for the 3rd time. But then I couldn't do anything with it. I think it installed a version of Windowmaker as a wm and I just stared at it and didn't know what the hell am I looking at. So I switched it on once more with almost the same result and left it that. And when I got Mandrake 7.2 I replaced Debian with it and never felt sorry for it. Though I like Windowmaker so you're maybe a bit right arctic.
I do have some spare partitions for playing around with other distros, but my main distro is and will be fedora, especially now, as fc5 was released. I might write a small review on it someday, when I have tested it thoroughly.

Anyway some ontopic now. Does PCLinuxOS count? If yes this is what I use for the second day and I like it a bit better then Mandriva.

Muahahaha... No, Yoper will NOT look like fedora. Yoper uses KDE and has its own set of default colours. It will be totally different, rest assured. (It will probably look like this http://www.yoper.com/forum/index.php?act=A...pe=post&id=170)

I guess PCLinux does count. It is a standalone distro, right? ;)

I voted for Gentoo which would be my first choice anyway with Mandriva being second.

I like Gentoo's flexibility as I can personalize it to my needs. And nothing I've come across can beat portage. It makes upgrading so simple.

Muahahaha... No, Yoper will NOT look like fedora. Yoper uses KDE and has its own set of default colours. It will be totally different, rest assured. (It will probably look like this http://www.yoper.com/forum/index.php?act=A...pe=post&id=170)

I guess PCLinux does count. It is a standalone distro, right? ;)

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

I don't wanna register just to see this. It will be a LiveCD AFAIK so maybe I'll take a look at it when it's finished.

And yes PCLOS is a standalone distro.

Edited by dexter11