Distro for Arts [Solved]

Jon Bee

I want to use my computer for artistic creativity, or more specifically, I need to use:

Software

- Inkscape

- Krita

- Cinelerra

- Blender and Yafray

- Rosegarden or Ardour and Audacity

- Maybe GIMP and Scribus

Hardware

- Minolta A1 digital camera

- Samsung Kenox "#1" digital camera

- Epson Pixus A3 sized printer

- SJ (Steinberg Jones) MIDI interface

- Roland Synth

AND

- Wacom Intuos 2 graphics tablet.

Problem 1: with Mandriva, everything works together wonderfully (as well as other media tools, Office and Internet software and so on) EXCEPT the Wacom graphics tablet! Unfortunately however, I don't consider this a minor problem. Honestly, for any serious pixel oriented graphics like GIMP or Krita, a tablet isn't a luxury at all, but a bare necessity! It's like a word processor without a keyboard.

Problem 2: I'm exasperated trying to edit XOrg.config and other config options to make it work, as I've tried pretty much everything out there, and still cannot but budge the cursor with my tablet, and as often as not end up needing to reinstall everything from the Powerpack DVD and reconfiguring URPMI and downloading all my preferred packages again. I give up. I just want to use my tablet!

Does anyone know of a distro that supports Wacom, with pressure sensitivity out of the box? Or, is there a way to get Linux Wacom into the Mandriva Cooker? (I have voted my heart out for it on the Club with no effect.) Or is there another way? :mellow:

[moved from Other Linux Distros by spinynorman]

Edited by Jon Bee

Wacom tablets are supported by Mandriva. First thing to check is wether the modelu is loaded (driver is installed). Open a console login as root and type: lsmod | grep wacom

If you see something like:

wacom 13888 0

usbcore 108476 8 usblp,usbmouse,wacom,xpad,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

everything is fine and you go to point 2. :) If not, still logged in as root type: modprobe wacom and check again with lsmod if the module is loaded.

2: Now we check wich device the driver has created. OPen a console, login as root and type: cat /dev/input/eventX (where X=1,2,3...). For example you type: cat /dev/input/event3 and move the stylus over the tablet. You should now see when event3 belongs to the wacom module, all kinds of funny stuff in the console. try all eventX till you have the one used by the driver. Now log out as root and try again. If you get an error, login as root again and type: chmod 666 /dev/input/eventX

3: Editing the xorg.conf. I'll just give you mine as an example:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Eraser1"

Driver "wacom"

Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"

Option "Type" "eraser"

Option "Mode" "Absolute"

Option "USB"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Cursor1"

Driver "wacom"

Option "Type" "cursor"

Option "Mode" "Relative"

Option "USB"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Stylus1"

Driver "wacom"

Option "Type" "stylus"

Option "Mode" "Absolute"

Option "USB"

EndSection

Reboot X (ctr-alt-backspace)

4: configuring the stylus settings.(pressure etcec)c For this it's best to use the Gimp. There are other ways but this always works. Go to file, configure, input devices, advanced configuration (translated from Dutch so actual wording can be different). I've noticed that the windows mode (so the stylus doesn't leave the paper) works best.

Troubleshooting: sometimes the usbmouse driver gives problems. You can unload it with (open a console, login as root blabla) modprobe -r usbmouse (you can still use your mouse after this even if it's a usb mouse :) ) and reboot X.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I tried step 1, and it gave me this:

wacom 13888 0

usbcore 108348 6 usbhid,wacom,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

It looks something like what you suggested should happen, which was a relief, although I note that there are differences. Are they important?

I then tried step 2, and the problems started.

...event1, ...event2, ...event3 all produced nothing when I moved the stylus across the tablet.

...event0 however produced some gobledygook when I pressed keys on the keyboard, but again nothing when I manipulated the stylus.

...event4 and higher (up to 15, I think) instantly produced the message:

cat: /dev/input/event5: No such file or directory

and returned the [root]# prompt immediately.

Next I tried "chmod 666 /dev/input/event1,2,3..." and then catted everything again and I accidentally discovered that my USB mouse was on event4, yet still, the tablet seemed to produce completely undetectable input on those events.

I then tried "modprobe -r usbmouse" which may or may not have done anything (there was no acknowledgement), rebooted X, and tried "cat"ing the eventXs again, with no different results. Happily however, as you said, my USB mouse still works. :D

Should I proceed to steps 3 and 4? Or am I right to assume that it would still be fruitless?

Thanks again.

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

Look also here:

http://www.linux.hostplus.net/Wacom-Tablet-HOWTO-3.html

I have no idea if Frederic Lepied works for Mandriva anymore, but the driver link is broken.

PS: just saw in wikipedia that he left the company fourty days ago...

Thanks for the help, scarecrow. I have looked at the linuxwacom site, and my poor artsy heart almost stopped. I don't have the slightest clue how to compile anything! I just wish Mandriva would include linuxwacom in the cooker, and everything would magically work immediately after install.

By the way, I tried Ubuntu once, and straight out of booting, the tablet sortof worked (with zeroing issues and no pressure or tilt sensitivity), so I know it's not a hardware problem. For better or worse though, I didn't like much else about Ubuntu, but it just pained me that this is the only thing that I don't like about Mandriva.

I don't blame Mandriva for this though. Really it's Wacom's fault, for not giving a driver to the community in the first place (stupid company). But I happen to have one, and they're probably as close to standard as tablets get, so... :wall:

I'll have another look at the HOWTO though, and get back to you. Thanks again.

No don't go further. Step 2 is the problem.

Looks like the module doesn't create a device or that we are trying the wrong devices. (Sorry that you had to go to event15. To see how many events there are just browse to /dev/input and have a look :) ). Have a look in /dev/input and see if there are other devices. (I have for example mouse for my mouse and js for my joystick.) Try everything with the stylus.

If that doesn't work try reloading the module and see if any new devices get created (open a console, login as root and type: modprobe -r wacom (to unload) and modprobe wacom (to load))

If that doesn't work try creating a device. Unload the driver and type:

mknod /dev/input/eventX c 250 0 (where X=4,5,6....)

chmod 666 /dev/input/eventX

modprobe wacom

I don't know what event the driver would use so you would need to try a few.

Good luck.

It works! Thanks soooo much! Actually it just started working, on event3, just like yours, when I tried it again this morning. I suspect that after doing modprobe -r usbmouse I needed to have done a complete reboot, rather than just rebooting X. Then I went ahead to your step 3, and voila! I can use my tablet with Mandriva! :thumbs: I also went into GIMP and switched on tilt and pressure, although I was somewhat disappointed to see Krita not take those settings. GIMP did work fine with them though. Do you happen to know how to activate tilt and pressure in Krita 1.42?

By the way, I no longer feel any need to switch distros, as if that wasn't obvious. Mandriva rocks again!

Sorry I wasn't around earlier, just a note. I think tablet support is one of those topics which is described as way more complex that it actually is. It scared me when I read it but actually its mainly just follow instructions.

90% of it is really just understanding the way its implemented though I have an ainciet serial version... but its configured only on one screen, my second screen is a projector so I make sure its only on one.

Sorry I wasn't around earlier, just a note. I think tablet support is one of those topics which is described as way more complex that it actually is. It scared me when I read it but actually its mainly just follow instructions.

90% of it is really just understanding the way its implemented though I have an ainciet serial version... but its configured only on one screen, my second screen is a projector so I make sure its only on one.

Yeah, now that it works, I can say it was a lot easier than I thought, but I tried back with Mdk10.1 and I gave up as I was practically ready to throw my computer off my balcony.

A screen projector you say? Hmmmmn. Just when I thought I had everything I wanted...

I thought the gimp configuration tool was just a frontend for the wacom tools. I guess I thought wrong. :) I´ve never used my tablet with krita but looking at the online help page there is config, settings, tablet entry that you could try.

That's strange, I can't seem to find anything like that in the version I'm running. <double checking>

By the way, I made a very interesting discovery today: after thinking I would be able to replace my USB mouse with my tablet, I unplugged it and gave it to my wife for her notebook. Then the tablet stopped working. Then I catted the events again and found that the tablet's input had been reassigned from event3 to event2. I re-edited the XOrg.config file accordingly and it works again. I wonder if there's a way to get around that, should I add/remove the mouse again.

Im not sure Id want to give up my mouse for the tablet.... perhaps just practice but I find the tablet cumbersome for everyday things?

Projector... I think my best buy yet... :D prices have dropped its cheaper than a good TV...

All my TV is also streamed from a vlc server from my ISP so I get to watch it on the big screeen. :D

Im not sure Id want to give up my mouse for the tablet.... perhaps just practice but I find the tablet cumbersome for everyday things?

Projector... I think my best buy yet... :D prices have dropped its cheaper than a good TV...

All my TV is also streamed from a vlc server from my ISP so I get to watch it on the big screeen. :D

That sounds very cool. Any reccommendations for how to shop for a projector?

Actually I didn't give up the mouse for the tablet only, my computer also has a touch pad, which is more convenient but even less accurate than a mouse. I'll use the tablet only for precision work, and mostly pixel oriented at that. I'll use the touch pad for everything else.

Anyone still reading this? :zzz: Well whatever. For the record at least, I've discovered a few more answers to things that I thought it would be responsible to add:

- I booted once without the Wacom connected, and on subsequent boots it stopped working again. I catted the events again, and found that the tablet was responding on event2, right where I would have expected it, but I couldn't budge the mouse cursor once again. So I went back into Xorg.config, and discovered that somehow it had managed to edit itself! Where I had previously typed "event2", it had mysteriously become "event0"! So after re-editing (back to event2) and re-booting, it worked again. If anyone knows how to avoid this dynamic hardware address syndrome, help clue me in please! (This is not so critical, I guess, but tiresome. I just have to be prepared to re-edit Xorg.config every time I want to connect the tablet. :dry: ) It is still far better than not being able to use it at all! (Thanks again, Devries and everyone. :beer: )

- Regarding Krita, Devries is absolutely correct that the on-line handbook refers to a tablet settings configuration dialogue. However that is pertaining to version 1.5 (and presumably higher), which is just yet unreleased. The version I have installed on my machine (the latest available from Mandriva official repositories as of 29 March 2006) is 1.42. This will hopefully be the last stable release which does not include tablet settings. Obviously this is not a problem I expect to be ongoing, and it is not only for this reason that I am hugely anticipating v.1.5+. (the "painterly" version!):woot_jump:

- Regarding Krita, Devries is absolutely correct that the on-line handbook refers to a tablet settings configuration dialogue. However that is pertaining to version 1.5 (and presumably higher), which is just yet unreleased.

You can easily install the latest krita 1.5 beta by using klik. I did so and got tablet support on a Mandriva 2006. This is not a real install, so it won't mess up with mandriva's krita. It will just download a self-contained version of krita which will work out of the box without messing your system.

Just install klik (takes a couple of seconds):

- Press Alt-F2

- paste this:

wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh

- follow instructions (like restarting your firefox when requested to do so, or giving root previleges so that klik can modify fstab - only needed once)

- go here to install krita 1.5-beta

Edited by cymbaloum