where is the (application) folder in Mandriva?

thereisnolag

I'd like to installe files where they (should) go but I can't seem ti find the correct folder...

you can probably install them in any folder but I like my SW ordanized so I don't spend hours looking for files.

I can't see my 2nd HD it the file browser ?

I did format it with the gui disk utility...

I do not understand your question.

rpm files are a pre-programed installation for your system. They will place the files where they belong in the system. Most of this goes into the /usr directory but some can go into /lib as well.

Most non-system partitions/folders are in /mnt.

ok but what if they're (firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz) for example...

Do I have to use the console, when I try to move a file using the GUI it tell's me I don't have permission...

I can use the console but my parents won't know how...

I do not understand your question.

rpm files are a pre-programed installation for your system. They will place the files where they belong in the system. Most of this goes into the /usr directory but some can go into /lib as well.

Most non-system partitions/folders are in /mnt.

All I can see in my /mnt folder is my cd-rom and my floppy...

hmmm after formating it do I need to Mount it somehow ?

If you use the Mandriva rpms of Firefox you won't have any problem in finding where Firefox is located. Please, for your own sake don't come into Mandriva and think it needs you to sort out wher everything goes, following some of Windows practices. Linux IS NOT windows.

If you do then you might as well give up Mandriva or any other Linux OS and stick with windows.

Learn the Linux ways and you will have a reliable, stable, secure and usable OS.

Welcome to the MUB.

Cheers. John.

You can put every application in the folder you think it "should" be quite easily...

You just need the sourcecode, gcc, a couple of devel libraries installed and

./configure --prefix={this-is-the-folder-I-like}

The distribution that will make things easier for you is named LFS, AKA Linux From Scratch...

Good luck.

If you use the Mandriva rpms of Firefox you won't have any problem in finding where Firefox is located. Please, for your own sake don't come into Mandriva and think it needs you to sort out wher everything goes, following some of Windows practices. Linux IS NOT windows.

If you do then you might as well give up Mandriva or any other Linux OS and stick with windows.

Learn the Linux ways and you will have a reliable, stable, secure and usable OS.

I don't think mandriva should sort out where everything goes, I just didn't know where they went, when I managed to install Java and limewire I didn't see where they got installed but now I know they are in the /usr/ folder.

I'd rather stick with OS X :-)

I don't like windows this is why I'm installing Linux(on my parent's PC anyway) I'm not having much succes but I haven't given up yet...

You are most likely right and I hope to learn Linux with the help of this forum and all the other source on the weeb...

thx

You can put every application in the folder you think it "should" be quite easily...

You just need the sourcecode, gcc, a couple of devel libraries installed and

./configure --prefix={this-is-the-folder-I-like}

The distribution that will make things easier for you is named LFS, AKA Linux From Scratch...

WOW...this is to much for me (sourcecode, gcc, a couple of devel libraries installed)

gee I just installed my 1st linux last week haha

If I don have any succes with Mandriva....today, I'll try LFS...

thank you SIR ! :-)

Indeed, Linux is not Windows - therefore you can install applications where you want them to be. RPMS are not the only way to install applications.

To begin, open console and run

$ env|grep PATH
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:
/usr/lib/jre-1.4.2_05/bin:/home/username/myapps

The output tells you where the system searches for applications. You can create and add your own application folders (such as /home/username/myapps in my example) and add them to the search path. To do that edit the file .bash_profile in your home dir and add the lines

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/myapps
export PATH

RPMS

By default the mandriva rpm installer puts packages to /usr/share (but some bits may go to /usr/lib) and executable scripts to /usr/bin.

Source tarballs

Sources usually come with configure files. To install such application you have to go through three steps:

# ./confgure
# make
# make install

You don't have to be root for the first two steps, but you need to be root to perform the last step, because make install moves the stuff to one of the folders in the user path. Usually it creates a folder in /usr/local/ and puts the executable to /usr/local/bin

Binary precompiled tarballs such as Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.

These tarballs do not include make or configure files. Therefore to make them availble systemwide you need to move them to /usr/local, /home/username/myapps (etc.) and then place a symbolic link to the executable script to /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin. For instance, to install firefox from tar.gz file, first untar it in your home dir, and move the created dir firefox to /usr/local/ and finally create the symbolic link in /usr/local/bin

# tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz
# mv firefox /usr/local/
# ln -s /usr/local/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox

Last but not least you can always locate the executable using which and whereis

$ which firefox
/usr/local/bin/firefox
$ whereis firefox
firefox: /usr/local/bin/firefox