problem downloading files with mozilla

thereisnolag

I am having problems completing my file downloads unsig the default web browser, i can dl the file fine but it gets to 100% but never actually finished downloading...

I can dl files using LimeWire though....

and I also "repaired" the installation to no avail...

At login I did get the error

"The protocole that handles File(s) has quit unexpectedly"

(sorry this is translated from french from memory so it might not 100% accurate)

Edited by thereisnolag

Which webbrowser do you use? Konqueror, Firefox, Epiphany,...? Which version of Mandriva are you using? Are you using official packages or some 3rd party packages (e.g. firefox 1.5 from the mozilla site)?

I am using Firefox, the one that comes with that distro.

the latest linux mandriva 10.1 I think.

I Dl'ed it this week I got it from mandriva.com

I just tried something: I can fully dl a file with konqueror

To me it looks like the files dont get xfered from the incomplete folder to the downloads folder using firefox, but I could be wrong

I just dl'ed th latest firefox...with firefox...ha and it worked..I'll try dling more files after installing the latest firefox and post my results here

Ok I downloaded firefox I extracted it in my applications folder..then what ?

On the mozilla web site all they say is :

Linux/GTK2

Extract the tarball in the directory where you want to install Firefox:

tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz

This will create a firefox subdirectory of that directory.

thx for your help...

When you extracted the package you should find an executable file. (firefox.sh or something like that. It should be explained in a readme file) Create a link from your desktop to this executable file and you should have a working firefox. You can further integrate it into your menu with Menudrake.

One thing: I don't know if you have already updated your system. If not, you should give it a try, it will probably fix your issues. Go to http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

Set up the mirrors as explained there and update your box or at least firefox. (launch "urpmi --auto-select" for complete system update (or use the Mandriva Control Center), if you have a broadband connection)

I look in my download folder this is the folder I chose on the firefox preferences..

you know how it says "clear from list" in the download window..well this option never comes up...

but I reinstalled since then and the problem went away...

Where do you look to find your downloaded (or not downloaded) files?

at that time I didn't know where the apps where installed so I did not/could not read the readme file.

I don't know how to create a link from my desktop but i'm sure I can look for this topic here or on google and find the how to...

Yes my system was fully updated

When you extracted the package you should find an executable file. (firefox.sh or something like that. It should be explained in a readme file) Create a link from your desktop to this executable file and you should have a working firefox. You can further integrate it into your menu with Menudrake.

One thing: I don't know if you have already updated your system. If not, you should give it a try, it will probably fix your issues. Go to http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

Set up the mirrors as explained there and update your box or at least firefox. (launch "urpmi --auto-select" for complete system update (or use the Mandriva Control Center), if you have a broadband connection)