which moderately easy to use distro?

It's a 120gb one, but it was partitioned long ago without considering that Linux could take 5 cd's :)

Now I'd have huge problems repartitioning, because the closest partition is stuffed and I have nowhere to back it up right now.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea what they peppered into which of the CDs, but one thing is for sure: The CDs will have way more stuff than you need. Gnome, KDE, hundreds of server-related apps, development stuff etc... My Fedora/Red Hat installations never got bigger than some 2 GB on a normal desktop machine.

PS: First two CDs are downloaded already :)

I'm currently running ubuntu-dapper (devel) and it boots faster than any distro I have ever had, including lfs. I know you couldn't install the older versions, and you'd have to go kubuntu for kde, but I just thought I'd mention it, because it has been know to boot slow wiith previous versions but dapper's boot blows my mind. So if you are broadband get the latest, what? ...Ubuntu Dapper Flight5? ...and give it a go.

Me, too, I have Dapper on one partition and yes, it boots faster than Breezy, but it ain't faster than my e.g. Fedora or Mandriva or Slack boxes. While they surely improved the overall speed, Openoffice became slow like a slug. I don't know why... :unsure: Hope they fix it till Dapper gets officially released.

I believe thats a gdk/cairo/font issue, but I could be wrong. Heh, my wifes ML2005LE takes 10x longer to boot than ubuntu dapper (seriously!).

It is somehow weird, I admit. I have one laptop that boots fedora in a hurry, while the other one needs quite some time. Both have the same processor and the same RAM and the same RPM-speed on their hdd, BUT both have different audio and networking cards. The result is that the one lappy needs quite some time to finish with udev and audio checking, while the other one soars past this in a hurry.

I will update my dapper later today, maybe that will fix that "slowdown" I experience currently.

Oh... my new, shiny fedora 5 is marvelous. :)

I know not the same, but.....I've been running Arch Linux 0.7.1 since Monday on my home laptop just to see how it is.

Seems good so far, and easy enough to install. I did a base install, applied all updates, and then installed KDE and Gnome from the internet connection. Can take about 3-4 hours when downloading from the internet, but I managed in 1 hour due to fast internet link at work via proxy server. Otherwise, it was 3-4 around 50-60Kbps.

My work laptop will be complete with Gentoo 2006.0 shortly. It's emerging and compiling KDE at the minute :P

Somehow Arch was not my taste. Especially the documentation is lacking for my tastes. I wonder how someone without proper knowledge of Linux shall be able to install it, as the installer is not really informative. Another problem I had was that I had to start the install procedure five times before the installer was able to set up all things properly. And no, it wasn't a bad burn. I'd definitely take Slackware over Arch, if I would have to choose between the two options.

Maybe I was just unlucky...

Maybe :P

Not got my wireless working yet, but gotta try when I get home, the rest of it's OK. I have installed maybe two/three times now. I started with a vmware session at first before I did a full machine install.

It worked a lot quicker in Mandriva 2006 though, so not sure what I'm missing. Probably cos all the config files are in different places than the rpm distros I'm used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I found replacement for mandy. Kanotix. No more waiting now I get latest and greatest right away :D

Edited by josk

kanotix was OK, but I was not all that impressed with it. It reminds me of the first time I booted up Mepis, for some reason.

I am experimenting with Fedora right now, and it is nice. My objections to it at the moment are rather esoteric: I want to be able to get it going on my laptop without physically hooking up to my lan. They do not privide ndiswrapper on the install disk, and since I have a trashy Broadcom wireless, I am stuck. Mandriva can be installed from scratch and updated to kde 3.5.2 in 2 hours!! That is what I did Friday. I wiped Mandriva, installed Fedora, and reinstalled Mandriva. I know, an excersize in futility, but fun nevertheless. Now, if ones laptop has a better wireless that works native in linux, Fedora works fine.