which moderately easy to use distro?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back to your package managing duties iphitus :P

(admittedly, Arch is a good distro for people just starting to dig into the command line and text configs)

Fine :P

*mumbles, updates cvs tree and updates his kernel package with some drm (direct rendering, not digital rights) patches*

Edited by iphitus

Of course! :D

But not all systems require you to open them with a text editor.

---

trying to download that Fedora live cd now, will see how it is.

seems a bit more complex than it should be - what's with all the cd image generation, just give me a generic one!

if possible I'd like to stay with a rpm based distro (don't shoot me!!)

Edited by solarian

if possible I'd like to stay with a rpm based distro (don't shoot me!!)

I wont shoot you for using rpm's (signature) :)

The livecd is still a work in progress, so keep in mind at this point, it isn't a final product and shouldn't be fully considered what Fedora will be like.

You can try this too (which is a build of fc5-t3ish)

http://alphonsebrown.no-ip.org/free/fedora-livecd/

http://clunixchit.blogspot.com/2006/03/liv...ep-by-step.html

I should have mentioned that Kadischi is a tool for creating a livecd.

But not all systems require you to open them with a text editor.

True. And more than that, under (say) Arch Linux, system management with nano or MC is so darn easy, that in the beginning you are almost sure you have fecked something up bigtime! :P

I always thought vi was for true system management, and nano was some weird incomplete after thought? :P

/me puts on his flamesuit cause after all he was only joking....... :unsure:

lol

I found out that Arch has a live cd too, will check it out

Archie is a complete live Arch linux system to be run from a CD/USB, built with the KISS philosophy in mind. No packages have been removed to provide a full Arch linux system, yet it delivers the fastest performance with no excessive bloat. Archie uses its own hardware detection tool (lshwd) ideally to support wide range of hardware with low detection time. Archie also provides extended features such as multi-lingual capabilities, nesting capabilities, and hard disk install.

I like the sound of that philosophy!! :D

Guest Penguinista

Hi.

I would certainly suggest SUSE if you just must dump Mandriva. On my work-related laptop I have SUSE 10 installed.

On my work PC I also have SUSE10 installed but I run Mandriva 2006 on it as a virtual machine.

Anyway, to answer your questions: mp2, dvd support etc. all work "out of the box" with SUSE 10. No .conf files to mess with!

SUSE10 includes more software than you'll ever use! And has much more available for downloading from the appropriate

repos.

SUSE10 is incredibly stable and bugless.

Try it. Go to http://www.suse.com and follow the links for downloading. The "evaluation" version is the full-blown version, installs to your hard drive and does not time out.

I've been using SUSE Linux, or SuSE as it was spelled not too long ago, for many years and I believe it really is the best distro out there. With Mandriva being in a very close second place.

SuSE was my second Linux distro, after an old RedHat. Factly, its the only distro I've ever bought (the pro version). What I liked best was the bulky, well-written manuals included in the pro version, which helped me quite a bit. But the distro was always slow (due to the overfed, Mandrake-style kernels) and yast, which while "easy to use" was always processing things at snail pace. Actually I've tried the free version of SuSE 10, but I was annoyed by the Fedora-style omissions of every piece of non-GPL software (and every schoolboy knows that Packman repos are a mess, more so than PLF...) and the obvious switch of interest to Gnome, which simply put isn't my piece of cake.

Still you can live happily with it- just ditch the official software installer, which is pants, and put in apt4rpm/ synaptic to manage your software. SuSE was probably the first non-Debian distro where apt/synaptic worked really well, and it still does.

Anyone can tell how much RAM Fedora Core takes up after startup?

I mostly like what I read about it and KDE can be installed (I'm a KDE guy), but I don't want to put anything sluggish on my system.

-----

Arch is too terminal based for my liking, atm (yea, it's the problem of my limited knowledge). If I had two boxes I'd install it on one for experimental playing, but unfortunately I have only one box and it's a production one, so I can't allow myself unplanned downtimes.

I'm trying Archie right now. Seems ok, I'll check it out more this weekend. But so far it seems ok. I think I would probally go ahead and get Arch for a install, but I do like having the ability to "test drive" a distro before installing.

I tried Suse a couple of times and while it was ok, I felt better off with Mandrake. But maybe thats me.

Anyone can tell how much RAM Fedora Core takes up after startup?

I mostly like what I read about it and KDE can be installed (I'm a KDE guy), but I don't want to put anything sluggish on my system.

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-note...ch-specific-x86

7.2.1.1.1. Memory Requirements

This section lists the memory required to install Fedora Core 5 test2.

This list is for 32-bit x86 systems:

Minimum for text-mode: 64MB

Minimum for graphical: 192MB

Recommended for graphical: 256MB

As far as how much does it use during startup is a bit hard to tell, the kernel uses what is there so whatever you got, as long as its the Minimum, Recommended being better and whole lot more is always nicer :)

KDE 3.5.1 will be in FC5