which moderately easy to use distro?

heh, ok

maybe I'll go the Debian way and install Kanotix,

I have fond memories of it

-----

still, if someone can tell more about SUSE, please do,

or Fedora Core

Or just install Debian instead of one of the knock offs. :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed debian once, and then apt wouldn't let me update the system correctly, so I wiped it and loaded something else.

Could be just because I didn't have the patience, but when the option is unselectable when it should be, kind of worried me. Might have another go when I'm feeling free with plenty of time.

Hmm.... installing debian ain't that hard. And if you need some nice tool for help, you can always use GenieOS for installing a basic and 100% Debian KDE or Gnome desktop.

Thanks for the info.

And how about xorg? I'd really like to have X with my ati. :)

p.s. It was not bought with Linux in mind, and I don't have the money to buy nvidia

What kind of card do you have?

Is it supported in other xorg 7.0 distro's that you have tried? I would assume it works, but I dunno, I have one ati and thats my laptop and it works. But you give me the model number I will see if others are using it.

The latest debian is just as easy to install as anything else imo. So that shouldn't scare you off from giving it a try.

That would be wonderful, cybrjackle!

I have ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

and I haven't tried it on xorg 7.0 at all, but that review mentioned that the author had to hack his way though xorg.conf

Actually I can hack my way through xorg.conf quite well (as most ATI card users can :D ),

but, as I said, I don't have the time to play with that now (deadlines!!).

Edited by solarian

trying out Kanotix, quite cool,

has KDE 3.5.1 and xorg 6.9, kernel 2.6.15-6

seems that the installation to hd app is quite easy too (almost too easy),

recognized my digicam with no problems, all hardware detected correctly

Edited by solarian

That would be wonderful, cybrjackle!

I have ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

and I haven't tried it on xorg 7.0 at all, but that review mentioned that the author had to hack his way though xorg.conf

Actually I can hack my way through xorg.conf quite well (as most ATI card users can :D ),

but, as I said, I don't have the time to play with that now (deadlines!!).

$ /sbin/lspci -v | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Sounds like yours isn't extremly new so I would say with 97% that it would work, 3% just cause I needed a number and didn't want to make a 100% promise :)

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned here before, but is there a good Fedora Core based live cd so that I can check out the general Fedora feel?

p.s. Now burning latest Kanotix live cd

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kadischi

This will be, but I don't know if it will fully be ready for fc5

I've tried OpenSuse 10 and what I like on it, it has 5 CD which you can download and burned and carry and install in your pc that has slow or no internet connection at all, so it has a lot of software to choose, you can also install yum and apt on it if you like those than its default yast2 software manager ( but of course that if you have a fast internet conenction so you can add more repos). I just dont know about what if my card is ATI or Nvida since its not :P

Arch

Meh, I read your post, you said you didnt want to dig through configs, but Arch's are about as dead simple as you want them to get, well documented, and..... well just plain obvious.

Arch has all the packages you would want in its mirrors, and even more on it's AUR. There isnt any paranoia about things like media and mp3 and stuff that other distros like fedora have -- it's all in the repos there to be used.

Arch is stable, in the sense that programs arent going to crash on you all the time, things arent going to be bugging out, and if they ever do, file a bug, and it will be fixed very very soon. Unlike other distros, the developers listen to and are respected members of the community.

A majority of the problems people have on arch, are all things they could have solved by looking at the wiki, which has an amazing amount of easy to understand documentation on it. If that fails, you could always go on IRC, and get help instantly (or a link to the wiki if you missed it), or get a quick response on the forums.

Anyway, /end biased promotion.