XGL under Mandriva 2006

Ceco

I've found that there is realised rpm's for Mandriva: http://people.mandriva.com/~vguardiola/xgl/

I've tasted it. XGL IS GREAT!!!

But i have some problems with the keyboard and mouse.I can't use the scroll of the mouse.I can't use the num pad of the keyboard and i can't change the input language of the keyboard. Did somebody know where is the conf file and how to setup the mouse and the keyboard to make them work?

Here is how to install it:

have the full features Xgl from mandriva :

1.configure the club_club repositorie (go on mirror finder to do that), then :

Code:

urpmi gnome-desktop gnome-panel gnome-control-center mdk-check-update-gnome gnome-themes-extras gnome-session gnome-menus gnome-audio-extra gnome-common GConf2

and some other. Some rpms have wrong or none gpg keys, it is not very importante here. install them, all. Add some other rpm if you want to be sure Gnome is entirely functionnal.

1.5 Open one time gnome and verify it works fine[you could create a new user if you want (to test first time)]

2.configure the Xgl mandriva repositorie

Code:

urpmi.addmedia Xgl-mdv http://people.mandriva.com/~vguardiola/xgl/ with hdlist.cz

3.install xgl.

Code:

urpmi compiz-xgl-compat xgl-cvs-060225-0.0.1-2 xorg-xgl-compat-2006-1.0-1 libcairo-xgl-compat-1.0.2-1 libdrm-xgl-compat-2.0-1 libglitz-xgl-compat-0.5.4-1 libsvg-cairo-xgl-compat-0.1.6-1 libsvg-xgl-compat-0.1.4-1 mesa-xgl-compat-2006-1.0-1

4. stop X and dm. in root :

Code:

service dm stop

5. start Gnome in Xgl, in simple user (!! user !! not root), just :

Code:

startxgl

that s all

Xgl comes with full features pre-configured ! no need to configure nothing (not like other distro). Click on little 'desktop manager' on right bottom bar and turn the desktop. (or crtl+alt+mouse clicks !). Move windows : they are .. funies ... Open a video, it is work ! open other 3d applx (as a game -nexuiz not fullscreen?- or blender) : works fine !!! (so, we have the most beautifull xgl configuration out-of-the-box). And configure with a very good startxgl on mandriva, as our startgnome or stratkde, to launch desktop entirely rootless -without dm-)

yeah mandriva rox.

but.. you wan,t now, have kde with Xgl ?

hehehe.. simple edit the lanuch'script and change the order. Open startxgl script and place this one in : DISPLAY=:1 startkde & (turn off DISPLAY=:1 startgnome & with an # before). but Xgl is construct for gnome, not for kde. So launch kde risks bugs...

Xgl ? we want ? we have !

6. turn off desktop session ? not need 'quit' option menu. Please use Ctrl+Alt+backspace.

10x to bubar

Edited by devries

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I decided to give it a try in Mandriva, unfortunately this package needs libwnck 1.6 and I´m on cooker and it has 1.8 so window borders are not drawn.

BTW there´s a typo in the first line: gnome-controle-center should read gnome-control-center without an e after control.

Edited by ffi

It was really easy to set up, easier then in Ubuntu, too bad about this libwnck thing though, it was a recent update, only last week, else everything would have worked the way it should out of the box....

But am I the only one here to have tried it?

Edited by ffi

I´m a 100% KDE. I´ll wait for KDE integration before I try it. :D

In Club Mandriva you can find a way to do it. Anyway if things mess up you´ll only mess up GNOME. Besides most GNOME components are already installed with Mandriva because most Mandriva tools rely on them. I found this out the hard way when I wanted to get rid of GNOME from my system, which uninstalled all of Mandriva´s tools too :lol2:

but.. you wan,t now, have kde with Xgl ? hehehe.. simple edit the lanuch'script and change the order. Open startxgl script and place this one in : DISPLAY=:1 startkde & (turn off DISPLAY=:1 startgnome & with an # before). but Xgl is construct for gnome, not for kde. So launch kde risks bugs...
Edited by ffi

Okay, the mouse wheel can also be made to function,as described here:

Solutions :

in /usr/bin/startxgl replace

/opt/xgl/bin/Xgl :1 -ac -kb -accel xv:pbuffer -accel glx:pbuffer &

by

/opt/xgl/bin/Xgl :1 -ac -accel xv:pbuffer -accel glx:pbuffer &

->remove -kb to have 'numbers keys' keyboard on

you could, if you want, ad the script : /usr/bin/Xglconf

#!/bin/bash
xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.fr
/etc/X11/xinit.d/mouse_buttons
/etc/X11/xinit.d/dbus

to have scroll mouse buttons and full keyboards functions

Thanks to PLOUF !

http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/posting.php?...=quote&p=212014

But I'm not sure if this is the easiest way. Wouldn't it be possible to just add

xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.fr
/etc/X11/xinit.d/mouse_buttons
/etc/X11/xinit.d/dbus

to the startxgl script? BTW you need to change xmodmap.fr extension to whatever keyboard you use, I use an US keyboard, so it would be xmodmap.us

BTW: compiz also functions quite nicely under KDE :)

Edited by ffi

• 3 months later...
Code:

urpmi.addmedia Xgl-mdv http://people.mandriva.com/~vguardiola/xgl/ with hdlist.cz

3.install xgl.

Code:

urpmi compiz-xgl-compat xgl-cvs-060225-0.0.1-2 xorg-xgl-compat-2006-1.0-1 libcairo-xgl-compat-1.0.2-1 libdrm-xgl-compat-2.0-1 libglitz-xgl-compat-0.5.4-1 libsvg-cairo-xgl-compat-0.1.6-1 libsvg-xgl-compat-0.1.4-1 mesa-xgl-compat-2006-1.0-1

4. stop X and dm. in root :

Code:

service dm stop

5. start Gnome in Xgl, in simple user (!! user !! not root), just :

Code:

startxgl

Tried this out. The filenames have changed alittle since this post. I used Mandy's Sofware Installer inside KDE to find the right ones and install. All installed with no errors.

Then I did steps 4 and 5 and got a permission denied. I found there was now also "startxgl-kde" and "startxgl-gnome", both of those just brought up regular KDE and Gnome desktops. I'm not sure where I went wrong. Any ideas?

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have the same problem of what kenbo has.

When i Run as normal user..i got this error.

[masternode@localhost ~]$ startxgl-gnome :2

Fatal server error:

Could not create server lock file: /tmp/.X1-lock

[masternode@localhost ~]$

If Run using sudo that is *root* user gnome launching BUT it is an Normal gnome.

There is no cubic rotations happens.

Do i have to change anything?

thanks

• 5 months later...
Guest stevesz

Hi All,

I'm using Mandriva 2006 official, but Xgl does not start. The following error occurs:

Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

X Error: BadLength

Request Major code 143 (GLX)

Request Minor code 1 ()

Error Serial #456

Current Serial #457

BTW, I want to start the server with this command to prevent KDE from starting (just while debugging):

/opt/Xgl/bin/Xgl :1 -ac -kb -accel xv:pbuffer -accel glx:pbuffer -nolisten inet6 &

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong?

Anyway, there is a clue, which is interesting for me... There is libxorg-x11-6.9.0-5.10.20060mdk installed, but I've found

that the distro contains libxorg-x11-6.9-1.cvs20050915.2mdk. Could it be the problem?

Thanx in advance