Arch 0.7.1 xorg problem [solved]

Installed Arch 0.7.1 in a vmware session, base installation. Followed this with:

pacman -Syu

to fully upgrade the system. I then followed this with:

pacman -Sy kde

which then downloaded and installed KDE. I couldn't do startx, so I thought something was missing and did:

pacman -Sy xorg

and that installed a bit more, and I could now use startx. I first ran xorgcfg -textmode to configure xorg, and this worked OK. I chose VMware as the video module, and then tried to run. It said vmware module didn't exist. So I changed to generic vesa, and now I get an error about it unable to find speedo. What is speedo and how do I get rid of this error? What do I need to install?

I'm presuming that vmware module doesn't exist, because something isn't configured into the kernel so just trying to see if I need to recompile kernel to find this.

Also, can't get ssh to work either.

The new version 7.0 of xorg is modular, so

pacman -S xorg

does not install everything needed.

http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php

Look there for all related packages, doing a query for "xorg" and install everything needed.

The Arch wiki should be very useful:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg7

And, there's also an Arch specific way for quick xorg configuration, which mostly works:

pacman -S hwd lshwd

hwd -x

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hwd /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The autogenerated xorg.conf mostly works. And yes, there is a vmware display module in the auxiliary xorg packages, but I can't remember which one, sorry... I will lok for it later.

Edited by scarecrow

OK, managed to get KDE running. I searched for vmware in the packages, and then installed that, and then I removed the line for speedo by commenting it out.

I then realised that part of my problem was that the default .xinitrc was wanting to load wmaker, and I didn't install that, so I edited this and changed it to exec startkde, and then I was pretty much sorted after that.

Just sorted ssh as well, was just a case of editing the hosts.allow file so that I could gain access.

It seems pretty quick too, even considering I'm just running in a vmware session with 256MB ram.

One question I have. If I want to view installable packages, do I really have to go to the web and do it? Can't I just get a list of packages by issuing a command at the console prompt. For example, the Arch equivalent to:

urpmf --name kde

will list all apps with kde in their name. I just wondered if there was a similar functionality. I know browsing a webpage is easy enough, but if I was to build a system without browsing functionality, it would make it difficult to install packages unless I had a second system to browse from, and then switch back to the main machine.

pacman -Ss packagename

See also here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

Mentioning also that not everything is CLI in Arch. There are no less than four frontends for pacman (all unofficial):

- pacmenu (ncurses based)

- guzuta and gtkpacman (gtk based)

- jacman (java based)

Also the GUI package manager from Frugalware (= Slackware with pacman as manager and Arch-style packages) is said to work with Arch, although I've not messed with it yet.

All are very small with few dependencies, so you can toy with them at leisure...

Edited by scarecrow

I did check the man page as well as the --help parameter or typing pacman alone, but didn't really show anything obvious.

Will take a look at this again tomorrow and see how I get on.

pacman -Ss

will list all packages in the repositories. with descriptions

pacman -Sl

will list all packages in the repositories

pacman -Ss searchtext

will search for that searchtext in all package names and descriptions.

I suggest you post your questions on the Arch forums, at bbs.archlinux.org as you are more likely to get a reply there and in a much much quicker fashion.

Before requesting help with things, it's advised you check the arch news, archlinux.org/news.php in case it is a new change that has come in,

and the wiki, wiki.archlinux.org as it has an amazing wealth of information and tutorials on how to do heaps of stuff.

There's a great cheatsheet on pacman there too,

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

which you may find helpful :)

James

I managed to find too :P

The only thing I had next was when I actually installed on my laptop, my machine uses the nvidia generic geforce4 cos it's a laptop and it can't use the nvidia drivers. And it couldn't find the module named "nv". And I couldn't find what package either. Been trying all day too.

Why not

telinit 3 (or 1)

pacman -Sy nvidia

And then

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and changing "nv" to "nvidia" ?

It works just fine for me, both on my desktop and my laptop.

Factly, the "nv" driver is a no-go for my shitty FX 5200 on my desktop, although I must admit that I've tried to use it under xorg 6.8.2 only- it "might" work under xorg 7.0, although I wouldn't bet on that...

Edited by scarecrow

Unfortunately, my work laptop has a Geforce 420 Go. Which is pants, and not supported by any of the nvidia drivers. If I do install, I startx and then the machine sits with a nice black screen and completely locks up.

So, for my machine I have to use the nv, and never get any opengl support. Not that I care, it's only a 16MB card too. As I said, crap :P

I tried both with Mandriva the 8178 and the 7173 which is the legacy one, and I also tried both in arch too. They effectively don't support this card, and I even went back through nvidia's archive too to try and find out.

But alas, nothing, so I just use nv, and besides, it's a work machine, so I only use it for office stuff ;)

In fact, the standard vesa probably works the same as well.

I've had problems using nvidia lately in gentoo and nv doesn't work at all. It's only recently that I've had problems. For some reason it fails to load and I get an xorg error. Since I don't play games or anything I've switched to vesa and it works just fine.