How to argue in favor of Mandriva?

Scirious

People, I am faced with the need to write a document to justify the reasons to chose Mandriva over CentOS, or vice-versa, for a server. In other foruns a friend told me, for example, he had success installing Oracle Database in Mandriva whereas in CentOS, even though it should be easier, he wasan't able to get Oracle installed.

With this example in mind, how could I argue in favor of Mandriva?

Thanks,

Scirious.

[moved from Networking by spinynorman]

Well, if you have to ask, why Mandriva is better for the purpose, and cannot think of how to support it, then maybe it isnt?

A distro cant be the best at everything, Mandrakee makes a reasonable attempt at a desktop system

Edited by iphitus

I had a similar problem recently at work. They wanted to use Slackware for a project I was working on. However, it wouldn't work for what we were trying to achieve.

I thought of using Gentoo instead, so tested and found it worked. It's also fast too and I suppose was as similar as I could think to those who had chosen that I should use Slackware. My project worked on Gentoo, and then I had to explain that it wouldn't work under Slackware despite I had been trying for two weeks. Gentoo worked in about a day once I'd finished it all. That was enough to justify for me.

Also, we had a problem with a machine that wouldn't network. Gentoo wouldn't work for this, but Mandriva would. Therefore we used Mandriva for this machine.

There are two examples. You have to think of what you're trying to achieve. Test both, and then explain why one is better than the other. Speed of install, ease of use, productivity, etc. The list could go on.

If it takes you one day to do it on one distro, and a week on another to get to the same point, why choose the slower one? Hope that helps for you choosing Mandriva over CentOS or vice versa. Try to put your own personal distro views aside for making the decision though. It's not easy, but you can't be seen to promote a distro just because you like it, and hate the other one.

Well, if you have to ask, why Mandriva is better for the purpose, and cannot think of how to support it, then maybe it isnt?

A distro cant be the best at everything, Mandrakee makes a reasonable attempt at a desktop system

Actually, I cannot think how to support CentoOS either.

If it takes you one day to do it on one distro, and a week on another to get to the same point, why choose the slower one? Hope that helps for you choosing Mandriva over CentOS or vice versa. Try to put your own personal distro views aside for making the decision though. It's not easy, but you can't be seen to promote a distro just because you like it, and hate the other one.

To say the truth, it isn't my personal view. It is just the case that some people here knows Mandriva better but even in this forum some people told me to use CentOS instead. I just can't argue in favor of any distro. For this reason I'm looking to know what others have to say about this. Some people at my work said Mandriva would be best because it is not only community supportted as they think CentOS is and because of local support. However, we are not going to buy support anyway and I don't know for what they are best suited. Actually, with forums support I can do the same with both, I just want some the causes me less headaches.

I would ask, for example, how many of you are using Mandriva in production servers? Is there any list of companies using Mandriva as their servers system?

Thanks,

Scirious.

I would ask, for example, how many of you are using Mandriva in production servers? Is there any list of companies using Mandriva as their servers system?

The simple rule .. if you understand the basics then there should be no difference. Server config shouldn't be proprietry tools (I don't even like it for desktops) but if you use cpanel/webmin etc it shouldn't matter which distro the support should be the same. My server doesn't even have a screen/keyb but its up 24x7 and I admin it with webmin and occaisional CLI....

Indeed my arguament is some distro's (Suse/mandriva) make tools which interfere with webmin or other cross platform tools and these are the last I would use. Why? Well what if you have a very good reason to switch to another distro because of application support... what if a distro collapses ?

Mandriva recently bought lycoris and threw out the tablet PC support... if I'd used lycoris I would have been stuck but I have debian installed.

Using say webmin I can use almost any distro and even *BSD/Solaris etc. etc. or Mac OS-X, SGI etc. etc.

I count 69 different distro's...