Farewell to the creator

Reiver_Fluffi

You can find snobbish "gurus" everywhere, even at the Arch forums I'm regularly visiting. The difference with the Ubuntu gurus is that the Arch ones do have a clue on what they're talking' bout...

And I cannot see the problem with the little brown thing. Ubuntu isn't the best Linux distro, but not the worst, either.

Edited by scarecrow

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can find snobbish "gurus" everywhere, even at the Arch forums I'm regularly visiting. The difference with the Ubuntu gurus is that the Arch ones do have a clue on what they're talking' bout...

And I cannot see the problem with the little brown thing. Ubuntu isn't the best Linux distro, but not the worst, either.

LOL, so true.

Real questions just never seme to get answered on Ubuntu ... its like the 'guru's are scared to commit to anything that might show their real knowledge, leastways it feels like that!

Im getting really tired of it and when I have time Im going back to Deb testing on my main box!

One of these days I'm going to try Ubuntu just to see what all the hype is about.

When/if you do, then please inform me too. I've tried it twice and didn't get it (why people like it so much).

Yeah, I'd be interested in your opinion, too.
Sure, snobbish guys can be found everywhere (/me rubs his nose), but the Ubuntu ones are a special breed imho. No offense, AI, you are still part of the good guys. :)

None taken, Arctic. :)

I just think Ubuntu and ubuntuforums are evolving into some kind sub-culture in the linux world. Some like it other don't.

About the question'n'answer issue on the forums is mainly because we get so many newbies and so few with expertize. It would be great if those who have a good potion of knowledge help out in the forum even if they don't use Ubuntu. Alot(or some) of the newbies will migrate to other distros which actually benifit the whole linux community and Ubuntu is still "new" compared to other distros. We have alot of those who migrate are choosing Arch and are running Dual ubuntu/arch or ubuntu/arch/windows.

I'll defend ubuntu not because I like or use many hours to conttribute every day to the community but because it seems that ubuntu have become a gateway for window users who want to get in the linux world.

Sure Ubuntu can improve (as any other distro) it can already been seen Dapper which are way faster than Breezy.

I think I'm gonna brainwash Solarian :D :lol2:

None taken, Arctic. :)

I just think Ubuntu and ubuntuforums are evolving into some kind sub-culture in the linux world. Some like it other don't.

About the question'n'answer issue on the forums is mainly because we get so many newbies and so few with expertize.

I realise that but its not helpful to getting more experienced users....it helps out the win converts but I feel that any question i ask will just get lost .. not Im saying Im a guru, just that the questions that do get answered are the no-brainers and this then bumps them, even if the poster said nothing useful whereas the technical questions noone seems to even answer....

It would be great if those who have a good potion of knowledge help out in the forum even if they don't use Ubuntu
I know and i keep trying but I just went to check my last question and its been 3 days or so and not a single answer and the question was actually answered here in about 10 mins! It just doesn't motivate me to stick about.... heck Im using Ubuntu not Mandriva but the sub-cultuire you speak of just doesn't work for me and i suspect a lot of other more experienced users....and mainly the board management do nothing to encourage them... I dunno just leaves me cold?

how'd this turn into a type of distro war? o_O

the places we take these threads... :lol:

humans have a tendency to take a group of people and apply a "personality" to the entire group based on one or a few experiences...i would say that there are users of each distro that could be grouped into the "helpful" and "not-so-helpful" categories. you can't really apply a personality to an entire group of users based on their distribution. and it's pointless anyways. i mean, until someone does a study on the psychological link between a persons mindset and their choice of distro we're all just blowing hot air on the topic ;)

...and mainly the board management do nothing to encourage them... I dunno just leaves me cold?

Do you have something specific or is it in general you can set the finger at? Or suggestion(s). We're well aware of some of the problems you say and I think it's the backside of being so large of a forum. We've made and calculation that says we'll be 100,000 member in July (we've 81,000 now) and that can be one of the reason.

I'm open for new Ideas I can represent to the staff :)

the places we take these threads... :lol:

I shouldn't have posted what Gael Duval was up to :D

> initialising boot

> loading linux............ ok

> detecting wetware..................

>ubuntu fanatic - check!

>fedora die hard - check!

>ubuntu disliker - check!

wetware conflict detected, proceed (y/N) y

=====================> 100%