Farewell to the creator

Reiver_Fluffi

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*bitch bitch bitch bitch*

:cheeky:

Note: no humans were refered to in the production of this post. Only professional posters should attempt this post. Do not try this at home.

(check attachment)

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Honestly, I don't get what you guys are so upset about.

Mandriva management sacks original developer/initiator.

Mandriva management has no clear vision, strategy, direction, etc.

Mandriva management has not changed from what it was before they sacked said co-founder. It's been quite the same for some time now.

From all I can tell, Gael didn't have a big hand in most big decisions of the last few years.

So what difference does this make? Why would you want to ditch Mandriva the distribution due to this?

Didn't we all always know that Mandriva the company is as clueless as ever? Did this ever stop us Mandriva Linux users to use Mandriva Linux?

To get back to the part where Mandriva (then Mandrake) got 'proper management' (as Gowator puts is: from 'grandes écoles'), that was because the investors and such asked for this. They were in charge, so they got to spell out their wishes.

In the meantime, Mandrake/iva was developed into one of the top Linux distributions, which incidentally, it actually still is.

There's actually nothing new here, as one can get from the various comments, for instance those of Gowator - nothing new, he's been telling his story for what, 2 years now?

The company is just as crappy now as it is then.

I believe (and this is from my experience as well) that Mandriva Linux is a top distribution, and for any case where it fails and some other distro succeeds, I can relate a story where other distro's failed to please and Mandriva delivered.

So, management sacks Gael. Tough luck for him. I wish him all the best, and frankly, I think that an open source insider / grand developer with insight will likely be better off outside of a company with such management. So it may not be great at the moment, it's always tough to go through that, but in the end he'll be better off. The true loss isn't even on the Mandriva Co. side since I don't think they were making full use of Gael anyway.

Shock, horror, world keeps on spinning. Tomorrow's another day. BTW my server uptime: 22:55:18 up 300 days, 28 min, 0 users, load average: 0.39, 0.63, 0.70

It's running Mandriva 05LE and will likely continue to do so until I want it to stop doing so. Since I have no time to mess with it, it will remain as it is for the time being. No problem at all.

Well, as I pointed out before, I fear that they will completely concentrate on the corporate market and I think that the free release will somehow suffer due to this. In a worse case scenario, I guess, the free download edition could be dropped. Furthermore I felt a definite loss in quality, not a good sign for a distro that wants to be a major player imho. But that is only me, of course.

It simply saddens me to see an incompetent management slowly ruining a distro that is/was one of the, if not the best desktop-solution in Linux.

Furthermore I felt a definite loss in quality, not a good sign for a distro that wants to be a major player imho.

So, what was your contribution the last years to the Mandriva distribution, besides bashing?

Where are your bug reports? Testing? Did you submit patches? Did you help the developers?

Furthermore I felt a definite loss in quality, not a good sign for a distro that wants to be a major player imho.

So, what was your contribution the last years to the Mandriva distribution, besides bashing?

Where are your bug reports? Testing? Did you submit patches? Did you help the developers?

don't you know, all we do here is complain and bash!! ;)

don't you know, all we do here is complain and bash!! ;)

why not? I didn't know contrib to devel was a requirement to having an opinion ;) Funny, you never hear people asked for their conrib to devel when they bash another distro or windows :lol2: Simple use, and help on a mandriva forum is more than enough to justify bashing :thumbs:

why not? I didn't know contrib to devel was a requirement to having an opinion ;) Funny, you never hear people asked for their conrib to devel when they bash another distro or windows :lol2: Simple use, and help on a mandriva forum is more than enough to justify bashing :thumbs:

oh come now, it's impossible to contribute to windows unless you have enough $ to buy the msdn license :P not a fair comparison ;) obviously i'm just using linux 'cuz i'm cheap!! :o :blink:

oh come now, it's impossible to contribute to windows unless you have enough $ to buy the msdn license :P not a fair comparison ;)

no it's not...there are win forums

are you, like anna, saying you have to contrib code for it to be considered a contrib?

of course not, the flame post is silly, not just an opinion, and should have never been made B)

no it's not...there are win forums

are you, like anna, saying you have to contrib code for it to be considered a contrib?

of course not, the flame post is silly, not just an opinion, and should have never been made B)

my posts were a joke :P (i assumed yours were too..) and these quotes are getting too long...*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*quotes have been trimmed to the bare essentials by spinynorman

Absolutely not because 3-4 years ago Mandrake stopped caring....

Perhaps its just coincidence but as Gael and the programmers were marginalised the responsiveness has got worse to the point where they don't seem to even care about releasing a releasae which isn't ready.

The idea of submitting a bug to mandrake became laughable when they refer broken media as a bug or non delivery of a item as a bug!

Honestly, I don't get what you guys are so upset about.
Im not upset I think it will turn out for the better I just hope Gael doesn't have problems feeding his family.
From all I can tell, Gael didn't have a big hand in most big decisions of the last few years.

So what difference does this make? Why would you want to ditch Mandriva the distribution due to this?

Because Gael and the early programmers MADE mandrake thie distro. Its mandrake the distro that's important to me, not the company because the two have been parting ways now since they went public.

Didn't we all always know that Mandriva the company is as clueless as ever? Did this ever stop us Mandriva Linux users to use Mandriva Linux?
Yes because Gael had built the distro with his own hands and those of his devels. For that they earn my respect and admiration. I have never admired the buisness sense but then Im a techy... its less important to me and it was when the tech aspects were made subservient to the marketing aspects I lost my love of mandrake.

To get back to the part where Mandriva (then Mandrake) got 'proper management' (as Gowator puts is: from 'grandes écoles'), that was because the investors and such asked for this. They were in charge, so they got to spell out their wishes.
As I say I rather hope Gael has learned his lesson with these types....
In the meantime, Mandrake/iva was developed into one of the top Linux distributions, which incidentally, it actually still is.

Here we disagree, indeed most strongly. I think Mandriva 8.2 was the best release when compared with the competition at the time. I think its consitently been going downhill ever since ....

For example the devels made URPMI as a genius way to solve deps and make life simple for the users, the new management I guess want to work out how to get paid for each use.

There's actually nothing new here, as one can get from the various comments, for instance those of Gowator - nothing new, he's been telling his story for what, 2 years now?

The company is just as crappy now as it is then.

Ah but 2 years ago it had more of the original devels, Gael etc. so what gives? Indeed its my experience its got progressively worse over the last 3 years and this final departure on air mandrake makes it clearr why.

Well I stopped using mandrake because it lost its technical direction, I don't mean use I mean focus on technical excellence. Most of the devels have been cast out or forced out over time and now we have a product in a box. On the other hand Gael has proven ability to CREATE a world class distro.

This might be what I need to go back to another Gael distro but it won't be Mandriva....

In the end the "Managment" today are riding on the back of Gael's (and the other devs) creation and have been for some time.

I agree with you that Gael is better off outside but I time permitting would like to follow what he does.

Yes, I submitted various bugs and even pointed them to solutions that other distros had found. But still, the instability remained on my boxes. Not my fault.

Heck.. why am I defending myself????

Yes, I submitted various bugs and even pointed them to solutions that other distros had found. But still, the instability remained on my boxes. Not my fault.

Heck.. why am I defending myself????

I think that's the point ... those who complain most about this have actually tried and just got tired of the whole process. I took part in beta's and submitted bugs but the resolution priority was never about stability and technical aspects which seem to get a back seat so much as pretty tools and getting stuff good enough for a new release schedule.

There are still the same questions here today there were 3 years ago which are down to the same bugs that have been pushed back because they affect only some of the hardware etc. or the same tools.

As Aussiw John said earlier... its like something works in one release then in the next release it doesn't though it has 'new functionaility' the critical part from a users perspective like the hardware XXX which worked in the last release suddenly stops working and instead we have a pretty menu. In his case the camera support but inthe past the nforce (net and sound)drivers across 10.0 to 10.1 for instance.

The bug fixes simply don't give the community the feeling of being part of the community since the marketing types filter what they can get away with out and concentrate on look n feel. Instead of getting the feeling you are contributing you get the feel you are :wall:

I honestly beleive this is down to the pushing sideways of developers and driving from the backseat by marketing... hence why so many great names have simply just slipped away... Gael was just the last and most significant.

I still find (as anon as pointed out) many of the old articles from Tom Berger technically excellent... I used one the other day to answer someones question here!