Farewell to the creator

Reiver_Fluffi

:lol2:

Allow me to translate.

Nobody ever gets fired. They are always laid off---for legal reasons!

Nobody ever disagrees---they discuss, sometimes intensly!

Nobody ever gets made--they just leave it at that, unresolved!

I'm sorry, but this sort of business-speak is real old stuff. Once again, the public is treated like dolts who can't figure out which way is up. :P

One thing is certain: they have a lawyer telling them what to say! B)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I forgot one other thing:

For those 13, 768 of you who might not be in "The Club"-- go suck an egg! You are not part of "the Community".

edit for clarity(because many do not know:) I am being sarcastic. I have never been part of the club, having purchased my first Mandrake v7.0 at a local Best Buy (dusty box on the bottom shelf), requesting the promised tech support, and receiving diddly (as in squat) from Mandrake. I still have not gotten an answer from my e-mail. It's been 6 years. The previous 2 versions of this board is the only reason I stayed.

Sometimes I think you may be a bit too harsh on them, Ix :P

Their post could be in earnst. And besides, any business would do the same, Mandriva isn't doing anything "special" or "abnormal" by having that write up. They are running an actual business, it's not Slackware, Gentoo, Arch, etc.

Hi,

I'll be waiting for Ulteo. Hopely it'll be great. Mandriva was the first Linux distro that I ever used, after that I've tried many, but I allways have returned to mandriva, I'll be missing mandriva a lot, but I can't keep using it after this. It's time for something new. Hopely ulteo comes soon.

-j.d.

Oh, I forgot one other thing:

For those 13, 768 of you who might not be in "The Club"-- go suck an egg! You are not part of "the Community".

Hello I was part of the club and they ripped me off. I was part of the community until I bought a powerpack with faulty CD's and Mandrake recommended I try mandrake expert ...

I was part of the club until Mandrake staff insulted me .....

So don't talk to me about community. Mandrakes own incompetence and money grabbing wrecked the community. Their endless lies wrecked the community but most of all the inability of the Mandrake 'management' (aka marketing) to listen to their customers and club members wrecked the community.

The current strategy is that they don't have a current strategy. huh.gif

Exactly my thoughts its basically the 'strategists' of Mandrake that have wrecked it. That took a great technical product and tried to make it bleed $$$ .. they tried to get more golden eggs from the goose by slaughtering the goose!

Meanwhile trivialising the positions of people like Duval...

Nobody ever gets fired. They are always laid off---for legal reasons!

This isn't suprising it an ingrained part of French business practice... let me expand with a real life story in a different country...

A friend works for Mercedes and they have a cultural awareness program for managers. In Germany managers are often gifted engineers or scientists with a distinct practical bent. They sent over a german engineer to manage a plant in Japan. One day the guys chauffer driver merc breaks down on the way to a meeting (it would be inappropraite for the manager to drive himself)

They guy waits and then get impatiet, popos the hood and fixes the car in 5 minutes ...

Next day he gets called into a meeting with the highest management. His positoin is untenable in Japan as the story has spread and he has now lost all respect fromt he workforce. He is recalled the next day to Germany.

Why? Because he shamed himself by fixing the car.

France doesn't have the same level of obsession with this but it is still prominent.

Employees are divided between 'cadre' and 'non cadre' in a throwback to Napoleonic education.

Legally a 'cadre' has a different status ... if they are unemployede they even go to a different agency to get unemployment and in order to receive redundancy they are legally obliged to sue the company for redundancy 'licencement'. 'Cadre' literally means officer class; NCO's and although noone gets sacked for fixing a car practical ability should either be disguarded or hidden. The Cadre do not take kindly to those with practical ability ... many managers in corporations don't even have a clue about the department they head, their job is simply to manage the workers. If they start dipping their hands in oil or hacking code they are considered inferior and not suitable cadre class.

Duval had vision but it was accompanied by a disability, his practical bent and his love of the linux community. Hence why the cadre marketing and management types have progressively pushed him out.

That is an interesting insight. And it does indeed explain Mandriva's dismissal of the original coders. The coders were trying to do it all, which does not mesh with the social stratum!

Well, I'm glad they fixed it. I certainly would not want to be living under the delusion that Mandriva is just an operating system! :lol: Next they you know, I'd be expected to fix my own car. No, wait, I do fix my own car!

Gowater, I found your example most illuminating. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of a software manager I had to work with once who had never written a line of code. In fact he attended a meeting of such managers, and when he said he had never written a line of code he was given an ovation.

That is an interesting insight. And it does indeed explain Mandriva's dismissal of the original coders. The coders were trying to do it all, which does not mesh with the social stratum!

Even worse, the coders were part of the community so they presumably knew what the community needed and wanted. Nothing rubs management up the wrong way more than the techies being right again for the 20th time.

Well, I'm glad they fixed it. I certainly would not want to be living under the delusion that Mandriva is just an operating system! :lol: Next they you know, I'd be expected to fix my own car. No, wait, I do fix my own car!

Hmm I think this is the problem, when Mandrake went from being a bunch of friends to a public company.

At this point you need the "grande ecole" educated managers and CEO in order to have investor confidence.

I can't imagine the last few years have been easy of Gael and to be honest other than its his baby I don't know why he didn't quit earlier and take his considerable talent elsewhere; except of course he will still be branded a lowely tech if he went to another corporation with the same management style or eligible to redundancy payments ... etc..

Instead I guess he's been shuffled from "non job" to "non job" rather like a bit of office equipment that is on a long term contract that is more expensive to get rid of than end the contract.

Now he has broken free of this trap I expect to see great things and he's hopefully learned his lesson about trusting management that doesn't understand the product.

Their post could be in earnst. And besides, any business would do the same, Mandriva isn't doing anything "special" or "abnormal" by having that write up. They are running an actual business, it's not Slackware, Gentoo, Arch, etc.

Nah, looks like spin to preserve their image!

Hello I was part of the club and they ripped me off. I was part of the community until I bought a powerpack with faulty CD's and Mandrake recommended I try mandrake expert ...

I was part of the club until Mandrake staff insulted me .....

So don't talk to me about community. Mandrakes own incompetence and money grabbing wrecked the community. Their endless lies wrecked the community but most of all the inability of the Mandrake 'management' (aka marketing) to listen to their customers and club members wrecked the community.

I totally agree, the club is indeed a rip off, but unfortunately people are attracted by the marketing, like I was once! This and adamw are the only things keeping the club model viable IMHO (man AW comes up against some grief though).

Nah, looks like spin to preserve their image!

Which is part of my point, almost any business would do the same. No business is going to come right out and be like "ok, we f*cked up" - they're always going to do their best to put a little spin on it, no point in bitching complaining about it.

:P

*bitch bitch bitch bitch*

:cheeky:

Note: no humans were refered to in the production of this post. Only professional posters should attempt this post. Do not try this at home.

That's a great idea, Ixthusdan!

Now we can just replace our posts with "moan moan moan moan" or "praise praise praise praise" or "rtfm rtfm rtfm rtfm", etc.! :lol2:

Edited by solarian

so if i understand this all correctly.............

Mr duvall takes hold of something and makes something different with it.

Makes something better with it.

gives it appeal.

makes it work more efficiently / easier.

in general works damn hard producing / improving adding to this thing.

and then forms a company called mandrake to produce it, and heaven forbid, make some profit!

Then along comes some "business" types to run it.

and they say, ok thats your lot geezer sod off !! ?

Mandrake / mandriva is his baby for gawds sake, who the hell are they to "lay him off".

jeesh whats next linus torvalds sacked from producing the linux kernel?

i know, its not a company but the principle is the same.

(just a thought but..... any of that mandriva management team on microsofts payroll?

great way to undermine the enemy eh sack the inventer and most of the original coders!).

good luck Gael Duvall, i shall be watching for your new product's with drooling anticipation

now i wonder which distro i should look into next mmmmmmmmmm