Moving files

maparus

I just had to reinstall Mandriva 2006. Before when I wanted to move a file, for instance a file from desktop to documents I would right click the file and have two options copy the file or move the file, I'd make my choise and left click the file hold the button down and a tree would open for me to drag the file to where I wanted. I like that setup but now since I reinstalled Those two options are not there when I right click a file. How do I get the options back?

Many thanks maparus

I noticed that if I try to move files that my user does not own, I don't get the options in the menu. With a reinstall, it is possible that only root has permissions on the old files.

I noticed that if I try to move files that my user does not own, I don't get the options in the menu. With a reinstall, it is possible that only root has permissions on the old files.

So how do I get the permission back to move thee files?

Easiest way is:

chown user:group filename/directoryname

For example, for user ian, this is what I would put:

chown ian:ian filename
chown -R ian:ian directoryname

and that should do the trick. The -R is recursive, so if you have multiple files/directories under a folder, it will reset permissions on all of them. Note the above is two examples, one for files, one for directories.

Working example, you have a file called doc1 on your desktop, so:

chown ian:ian /home/ian/Desktop/doc1

or you want to reset /home/ian so that the user ian has all access rights:

chown -R ian:ian /home/ian

Maybe you made a typo but you need to leave a space between chown and the -R.

and before /home/maparusch...

chown  -R  maparus:maparus  /home/maparusch

It wasn't a type error I screwed up. I did just as you decribed above and no errors popped up so I quess it worked. But I still don.t have the two options. Amy other ideas?

What securits level is set on your system? High or normal? Setting the security level to "high" without finetuning permissions later might cause the problems you are experiencing now. If it is set to "high", change the sec-level to "normal" and retry.

Have you tried using this as a method for moving the files:

mv /home/username/Desktop/filename /home/username/

change the path details so that it fits your system. Check where you moved the file to to see if it did actually move.