Samba: special characters in filenames disappear

tlahtopil

As an Spanish-speaking user, every time I have to install Samba I find that my accented vowels and 'ñ' dissapear when browsing smb-servers in Windoze Explorer or Crapintosh Finder, same as I've read happens to German-speaking users with umlauts ans ess-tset. So, if you use a Latin-based alphabet, here's my recipe:

1. Set your global environment encoding to ISO8859-1 (I use Konqueror > Preferences > Configure > Fonts; notice this may not work with other environs, text or graphic, but KDE is the one and almost only for me).

2. Find and edit (maybe as root) smb.conf; don't ask me where it lives, I'm an almost-newbie, so perform a local search and edit it with the tool you feel most comfortable; I suggest Swat or Webmin, better the former.

3. Write these values in "[global]" (literaly; copy-paste this if you want):

[global]

dos charset = CP850

unix charset = iso8859-1

display charset = LOCALE

In Swat, go to Globals > Advanced, type those values and click on "Commit".

4. Save smb.conf and restart Samba.

I don't assure it will work for you, I don't even know if it works the same in all Samba versions, but there is where I head to every time I have to setup a new Samba server. As far I've read in forums, the main thing is to first tie your environment to a concrete encoding, so don't ever let that line blank or as "environment default", "local language default", etc.

For Latin based alphabets, always try first ISO8859-1 in your environment and "Unix charset", if that doesn't work, try ISO8859-15, and if that either, ISO8859-13. Last resorces are ASCII and CP-850 (this may be needed if you have a disk with very old DOS partitions or old-DOS-long-filenames, but your Ext-2/3 partitions may then suffer).

If you're working on a multiboot PC with preexisting Windoze partitions, don't install your *n*x with "Unicode as default", 'cause that will mess all their special-char-filenames (well, they remain ASCII or CP850 correct, but *n*x won't translate them well, and if you retype them, then WExplorer will also scramble the Unicode chars).

As far as I've experienced, the holy grial of correct encode-mangling is to first install *n*x on a fresh new PC with "Unicode as default", later install Windoze (NT family is less-worse) and also pick Unicode as default, and then, afer a good reboot, begin creating special-char filenames. Removable FAT, FAT32 and NTFS media should be expected to have ISO8859-15 encoding, which you can configure in Drakconf.

Good luck.

Edited by tlahtopil