Shutdown Video whacked!

Yankee

Ok, I just installed 2006 official and am tuning it now. When I shutdown I get a screen that looks like the old 8 bit computers when you reset. All random characters etc and blinking here and there. I can't read the shutdown messages and that sucks in case there were a problem and it just ain't right. My 10.1 official also did this so I am hoping someone knows how to fix this.

It appears that when it exits the hi-res mode of KDE it is going to the wrong mode and is not a sync rate problem. It displays the wrong video memory etc.

This is not a major problem keeping me from running but I hope there is a cure.

Here is my video card & driver information from Hardrake which is the correct card:

Description: ‎NV11 Geforce2 MX/MX 400

Module: ‎Card:NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)

From installed software:

Name: nvidia_legacy

Version: 7174-3mdk

Architecture: i586

Size: 10246 KB

Summary: NVIDIA module for Xorg 6.9.0 server and OpenGL libraries

Name: dkms-nvidia_legacy

Version: 7174-3mdk

Size: 4718 KB

Summary: NVIDIA kernel module for NVIDIA Architecture support

Description: NVIDIA Architecture support for Linux kernel

Name: nvidia_legacy-kernel-2.6.12-12mdk

Version: 7174-1mdk

Size: 1335 KB

Summary: nvidia_legacy driver for Kernel 2.6.12-12mdk

Description: dkms binary kernel modules for the nvidia_legacy driver version 7174, built for the 2.6.12-12mdk kernel.

Well here is where I'm at. I installed the kernel sources so I could install this:

Linux Display Driver - IA32

Version: 1.0-8178

Operating System: Linux IA32

Release Date: December 22, 2005

Now nvidia-settings works (I read about that somewhere and mine didn't work).

So I'm off to a good start I guess but I still have the same problem. It sucks because I can't go to a console because the screen is all screwed up.

Still have not found nothing about framebuffer etc. I assume it (the problem) is in a script that shuts down the X server.

Edited by Yankee

I sure wish Aussie John would drop by and answer this. Hello, my real name is John too and I sure see you are up on linux pretty good. Read the happy bday thread too, so happy 71st. Anyway, I have looked through config files till I'm blue in the face!

Thanks man, that is the answer and here it is again right here:

For those who don't know where the file is it is in /etc/X11. You need to edit xorg.conf and add the line Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT" to the file under the devices section.

Section "Device"

there is stuff here

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"

End Section

Just add it before the end section and you be good to go. Someone ought to stickey this!

Edited by Yankee

• 2 months later...

A word of caution:

I have similar nvidia-related problems and thought trying out the same by adding a new line reading (code):

ConnectedMonitor "CRT"

to the Device section of the file xorg.conf might help.

The result was losing the graphical interface, and the computer became fu*#ed up, not even Kate would run any more!

To undo the mess, or otherwise said to remove the false line from the xorg.conf, I did this:

Logged in as root on the console.

cd'd to /etc/X11 (the directory which contains the file xorg.conf)

typed on the console:

vi xorg.conf

That called-up the editor VIM and made VIM open the file xorg.conf

Located to the wrongly added line of that file and deleted that line.

Moved to below the bottom of the last line of the corrected xorg.conf file and entered:

:wq xorg.conf

That wrote the corrected file back to hard disk and quit (closed) VIM.

Entered:

reboot

and the computer rebooted starting as usual.

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

Hello Helmut. I agree with all you said. My routine is root then password then vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf and to make a change type just the letter i (for insert). Make the change then esc button to prevent any accidental unwanted changes, then it is only necessary to type :wq (it means write and quit) then type reboot. As you can see a tiny bit different but achieves the same end.

Cheers. John.

Hello Yankee. Thank you for your birthday greeting. It is greatly appreciated, no matter when received. :thumbs:

What kind of Monitor is it ??? Most times all it needs is to open MCC and go to Hardware then Configure your monitor where you will generally see a highlighted line titled Plug n Play. If you already have the rpm package titled Monitor-edid installed (Tends to be installed by default in Mandriva2006 but may be missed. If not there then install it via MCC again) when you double click on this highlighted line then Monitor-edid will do a run to identify your Monitor correctly and then when you click ok etc then will set to your Monitor.

Cheers. John

A handy bit of info is that when you reboot and it does not come up to a Gui login but to a text part instead, it may mean that part of xorg.conf is reading incorrectly. To find out if this is the case then type startx and if it does not start kde or gnome then it will give a screen detailing why it cannot startx and if you take the time to read it carefully it will tell you most times what the error is in xorg.conf and using the method Helmut and I recommend, you can edit the troublesome line of text or delete it and so on. The error message is not in the typical windows form which requires a special error interpreter to understand it . This message is in pretty straight forward English and resonably easy to understand..

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Thanks John, and hope you enjoyed your birthday in steamy Cairns!

Probably the best feature of Mandriva is we hardly ever need a console or an editor, because practically everything has an excellent graphical user interface. This distinguishes it from just about all others and makes it so user friendly. Thats what I like most. The downside is, if once in a blue moon we really do need an editor, we may just don't know what to do. Either we forgot, or we never learnt how to use an editor in the first place, which applies to me...

On the other hand, when I first tried working with vim as a newby, it was exceedingly difficult and didn't make any sense. I didn't dare touch it again in years. When looking again as an experienced user, it totally surprised me how easy it really was.

Cheers,

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

The most annoying thing about Mandriva is that it tries to replace fairly straighforward/ trivial to use tools, like vi/nano/mc and clean, well-commented initscripts and configuration files, with complex and unnecessarily fussy GUI-based administration modules and "wizards", which never let you know if you have done something right.

Other than that, its a good distro (albeit oldfashioned, unless you use buggy Cooker).

So, you see, dear Helmut, what is best for you about Mandriva, for me is its Achilles' heel... but this is the best thing about Linux, everyone can pick what suits him best.

Edited by scarecrow