Open office

kwlam

Anybody is successful in installing OOo2 from mandriva2005?
Yes.
Can anybody tell me how to solve the problem?
The instructions are where you got the download from at openoffice.org.
If I want to install OOo2. should I uninstall the older version first.
You can if you want, you don't have to.
[if] I do not uninstall it, will there be 2 OOo in my system?
Yes, you would have both 1.1 and 2.0 in your system.
If I install OOo with rpmdrake, ...
No, use the command urpmi -ivh *.rpm from a console window.
you only need to install the mandriva rpm. the rest or for other distributions.
Not quite true. There are the core program rpms, and the system-specific rpms. You need the mandriva rpm and the program rpms. That's what the "unsatisfied dependency" message was about. You don't need the redhat, debian, suse ones for example but you do need lots. They all get installed with the command above if you first move the mandriva one up a directory.

from the command line it should be "ooffice2" (general) or (specifically) "oowriter2", "ooimpress2", etc. The links in your menu are probably for the old openoffice. You may need to create new menu entries via menudrake, but first trying logging out and back in and see if new entries appear.

I have installed the openoffice but I cannot find the openoffice 2.0. I just double click the rpms and enter the password of root but I am not sure whether I installed it or not. I checked from from rpmdrake but it was not found. Can anybody help me?

instead of double clicking on the rpm, open a terminal, su to root (run the "su" command and enter your root password) and the install the rpms via urpmi:

urpmi filename.rpm

you may be getting errors when installing, you have to be sure to install them in the correct order.

Guest kantti

You could try this. Go to MCC and there to the place that where you can manage the sources from where to install the packages. (Somebody help with the real names of these places, I'm not on linux now and just cant remember what they all are called! Hate my working place for forcing me to use winyouknowwhat.) When you are there select the 'add custom' - option and there give some name to your new package source and then find the directory where your OOo rpms are and add that directory to your package list, for me I think it told there were some error adding the new source, but it still added that so it could not be any big error... After you have added that go to install packages and choose it to show your packages by source. Now you can easily choose the OOo rpms that you just added to your package sources. Hopely you can understand what I mean... And hopely you get your OO installed, it's faster and looks better than the old one.

If you don't understand what we mean by "urpmi -ivh *.rpm" then just ask.

Once you've done that you should get menu entries under "Star -> Office" for example "OpenOffice.org 2.0 Calc", "OpenOffice.org 2.0 Draw" etc. You shouldn't have to reboot or anything.