Open office

kwlam

I have installed mandriva 2005 LE and together wtih its openoffice 1.1.4. I found it is very slow in starting the open office.

Is it any advantage to install the newer version of openoffice such as 2.0? Will it be faster?

How to install it? Previously I installed older version of open office and there is no rpm. Now the newer version after unzip, there are a lot of rpm file. Should I install all the rpm package or just the mandriva package?

Version 2 is faster but its largely startup seems slow.

You can use various pre-loaders so an instance starts in the background when you start X... Search in the add/remove progs.

Sorry I don't know what's in the package for Mandriva but you should be able to get OO2 as a urmpi install (I think) you may need to add urpmi sources though...

I tend to use koffice for lightweight stuff and only use OO when I need extended functionality unless I already have it open.

I wouldn't recommend it. If your current version is slow, version 2 will be even slower.

On the contrary, 2.0 should run faster. One of the main things they tried to do with 2.0 was increase speed.

When you download the package from the website and extract it, there should be an RPM that has mdk/mdv in the name, use urpmi to install it:

urpmi <name-of-file>.rpm

OOo2 is faster here, as well.

If you want to get it load faster and consume less RAM, don't load at program startup the dictionaries you don't need:

kdesu kwrite

Open in the OOo's folder the file /share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst and remove any dictionary, thesaurus and speller/hyphenator that you don't explicitly need.

/me saying nothing :P

Honest, it must just be my machine then :D

Actually I'm not sure, I had both and both seemed the same, but my machine (work lappy), isn't the best. Celeron 1.8GHz, 512MB RAM, so maybe that's why my machine doesn't behave that well. I'll try on my AMD Athlon XP1800+, 1GB RAM when I get home, since I have the OO2 rpms local from the urpmi trees, and see how it performs there.

I can't say I noticed a huge speed improvement with 2.0, but I'm pretty sure it's not slower.

About the rpms, no you don't only need the mandriva one, that only contains the menu items. You need to follow the instructions at the openoffice.org site and install all the standard rpms and the mandriva-menus one. So move the mandriva rpm up a directory to join the others and then from there do a urpmi -ivh *.rpm

If I want to install OOo2. should I uninstall the older version first. I am not good at linux and I usually used rpmdrake. I do not uninstall it, will there be 2 OOo in my system?

If I install OOo with rpmdrake, I install the mandriva directory first. Then is it necessary to install all the other with rpmdrake, too? There are many files, indeed.

you only need to install the mandriva rpm. the rest or for other distributions. you don't have to uninstall the other first, they can coexist on the same system. if there are conflicts, the install program will tell you.