Need help to install Mdk9-2 on Sharp Actius A280

Guest meinhardt_jg

Guest meinhardt_jg

I've purshased several Mandrake packages on past, starting from Mdk7-0, 8-0, 8-1, 9-0 and used to update to newer kernel versions when available.

Mdk distros were the only ones I've being succesfull in instaling on the now old Sharp Actius A280 (PII-366 / 64 Mb Ram / 8Gb HDD/ ultra portale and light.

Although none os the distros I've tried, including RedHat, Debian, Connectiva, Slackware and Mdk have ever allowed recognizing the PCMCIA card connected CDROM, I managed to install Mdk from 7-0 to 8-2, from HDD, with a booting floppy with hd.img

To make the story short, the old Sharp obviously got outdated, and to complete, the display is no longer working, therefore there was nopoint on trying to keep it up-dated with dual booting lin mdk and win98.

Now, I intend to use the old box as a router or Internet cable modem server and firewall to share a cable modem connection, since I believe that there is plenty of muscle for such an application.

The problem is that I do not remember the way I managed to install mdk from hdd.

I've tried following the instrctions available from the old cd's included on 9-2 version, but get stucked when the installation dialog asks for the directory where the installation program is located. I believe I used on the past /mdk/mandrake/mdkinst/ but there is no image file in there. I do not have the img file or an ISO image anymore, to load and install from it.

I'm copying the entire mdk 9-2 CDROM content on a FAT partition, assuming that being posibly one of the latest mdk versions, the kernel may be able to recognize the PCMCIA Lan card. The CDROM support, I just quited, but still need help to be able to perform an install from HDD.

Besides installing mdk 9-2 on the Sharp Actius A280, to be able to use it as a router/firewall, I will need to get PCMCIA Lan card to be recognized, since I will need to use obviously two NIC's to get the best performance.

Any help on both issues will be more than welcome.

Brgds

Jorge