Having problem with Soundblaster Audigy Sound Card

najand

I am using the Audigy SoundBlaster Sound Card and while I was using Red Hat Enterprise 4 it was working perfectly. Now I changed my system to Mandriva 2006 and the installation and configuration was great.... At the end of installation I even saw that the system has found my sound card drive which is "snd-emu10k1" and so on. However after rebooting the computer there was no sound. I spent almost three days on it and it seems nothing has changed. The problem is that all music applications starts to work, but still no sound.

The Identification of the drive is:

Identification

Vendor: ‎Creative Labs

Description: ‎EMU10K2 Audigy Audio Processor

Media class: ‎MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

Connection

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus PCI #: ‎2

PCI device #: ‎5

PCI function #: ‎0

Vendor ID: ‎4354

Device ID: ‎4

Sub vendor ID: ‎4354

Sub device ID: ‎8194

Driver

Module: ‎snd-emu10k1

Alternative drivers: ‎audigy, emu10k1

I checked Kmix and all options are unmuted with the highest value. However, I could not configure alsa using "alsaconf". I tried "system alsa start" and it says that

ALSA driver (version 10.0.9b) is already running.

Then I checked if I have alsa-utils and it seems that it is already installed. However the the command "alsaconf" does not work.

I checked both "/sbin/chkconfig --list sound" and "/sbin/chkconfig --list alsa" and both of them are:

[root@localhost ~]# /sbin/chkconfig --list sound

sound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

[root@localhost ~]# /sbin/chkconfig --list alsa

alsa 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

I don't know what is on or what is off, but I think it means that it is on. I am all disappointed. :unsure: Anyone has any idea what can I do next?

A word of caution - I am a newbie :D (not an animal) :D but I had a few problems hearing sound on my system. The solution for me was to go into Mandrake Control Centre > Hardware > Hardware > Sound Card > Configure Module. See what options you´ve got and try the alternatives. It worked for me - hope it helps you ;)

It may need a "model" option to be passed in /etc/modprobe.conf (or in the hardware options for sound via Mandrake Control Center)- like:

options snd-emu10k1 model=?????

or, as suggested in various forums, something like

options snd-emu10k1 index=0

Don't ask me which model though, I do not know, nor I want to know anything about Creative hardware.

Edited by scarecrow

Well, I doublechecked everything and everything seems fine, but still there is no sound.... What should I do? Anyone has any idea? :wall:

Open alsamixer or kmix or any else alsa-based mixer, and check that "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" is muted if you've got analog speakers, or unmuted in case of digital ones.

Thank you for many replies. I checked both mute and unmute options and I still have no sound. Well, I found something. Even with muting that option with alsamixer, by rebooting the computer, the option unmutes automatically. Is there any possible problem with booting?

Thank you for many replies. I checked both mute and unmute options and I still have no sound. Well, I found something. Even with muting that option with alsamixer, by rebooting the computer, the option unmutes automatically. Is there any possible problem with booting?

Well, Forgot to say that it happens even by usinf the alsactl store.

try looking at

menu > system > configuration > KDE > sound > sound system

this shows a form with 2 tabs - general & hardware

on the 'general' tab - enable the sound system

on the 'hardware' tab - enable full duplex ( this one might be unnecessary)

Edited by arglen