Mandriva ONE repositories

Jza

I wonder if they are the same as 2006.0 or will they be for 2006.1 and if there is such where are the repositories. Thanks for the feedback.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Mandriva ONE is a Live CD, so not sure if there are repositories for it or not since it would be difficult to update a CD. Unless of course it allows you hard disk installation afterwards.

Mandriva One is a LiveCD based on 2006 Community and it has a new GUI installer which allows hard disk installation. 2006.1 is a very early prerelease of 2007.

Then, it is a branch off of cooker and is a totally good idea. Mandriva has needed to do this for some time. I might even start working with it.

• 1 month later...

I'm not saying it's unique, I'm just saying it's a bit of a mess. For instance, if I'm installing the regular Mandriva product and I don't plan on using my Palm Pilot with my computer and I don't like evolution, I can deselect those packages before installation.

With Mandriva One, absolutely everything on the CD gets installed, and then you have to go back and uninstall whatever you don't want later. And instead of only installing drivers for the hardware it detects on your system, again, it installs absolutely everything on the CD, so you end up with a bunch of useless software packages floating around taking up space.

And instead of only installing drivers for the hardware it detects on your system, again, it installs absolutely everything on the CD

every version of mandriva you install has almost all the drivers necessary for every system installed because they are part of the kernel, and mandriva's kernel is built to accomodate almost any system. only third-party and/or proprietery drivers are not included with the kernel. now, it should only load what is necessary for your system ;)

I'm referring to some of the driver-type packages out there. For instance, with a regular Mandriva install, if I tell it that I don't have a printer, it doesn't install any of the extra printer packages (hplip, cups, etc.) But with Mandriva One, it installs it all, whether I have a printer or not.

like i said, this is how all livecd's work, it's not a downfall, it's just how they work. you can't really call it a problem of mandriva one or any livecd, if you want an true install you should be using the install cds and not a livecd.