Gentoo Linux 2006.0 Released!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Fedora doesn't have the "hackability" that you can get in gentoo (with USE flags and such).

Yep, + and - in all distro's

While the USE flags are nice and I like the idea, comparing install time of said package with -use something +time doesn't = good for me :)

Just like all the binary distro's if there is something missing in a package (use), you can always rebuild the package (this is were the added time comes in)

If there is something that isn't include (package) or something I want to test differently I just drop it in my users dir and can install/use as me and not root/system files

ls $HOME/apps

bin etc include lib man sbin share var

Again, gentoo is a fine distro, just has more minus for what I want than plus's.

Fedora has more meat and potatos that I like to use/test/play with than what I can get out of gentoo through the package system and usability.

However, if Fedora didn't exist or went off from were it has been going than I would use gentoo.

Hey, I still complain about compile times on a regular basis even though I use gentoo :lol:. And, if I break a gentoo install, it's likely I'll go to another distro, an install takes so long!

Hey, I still complain about compile times on a regular basis even though I use gentoo :lol:. And, if I break a gentoo install, it's likely I'll go to another distro, an install takes so long!

When I used the gui install, I made the mistake of telling it to go ahead and install gnome/xorg and several other things, whoops, install took a LOT longer than nomral :unsure:

At least doing a minimal install you can drop in flux/firefox-bin and build stuff as you have time and use the pc too. Doing the full blown gui install got a little ugly and rendered the pc useless for quite awhile :)

Tell me about it. I borked one once in the office, and had to reinstall. I've managed to get a basic minimal install done in one hour. It's the xorg/kde/gnome stuff that takes a fair amount of time for me.

Normal desktops I just use Mandriva :P.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reverting to 2005.1. Mainly because the 2006.0 doesn't offer the functionality to manually install.

Plus, it creates a kernel with genkernel, and I like to be able to create my own manually, and make sure I have all the correct boot options enabled. Any of you Gentoo guys out there tried 2006.0 yet? And if so, did you manage to get it just as you got it working with 2005.1?

Is there any way to upgrade from one gentoo release to another? Or is this automatically provided through portage?

Don't know if downgrading will be possible (I never tried that). Read this: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=22131. Might be useful. :)

My experience with 2006.0 so far: It works better than previous releases with my hardware, but still, I am a bit disappointed. No sound again and I can't get refresh rates over 75 MHz. It is the only distro where I cannot get the full 85 MHz I am used to, when hacking the xorg.conf file. E.g. Yoper and Slackware were way better in this respect, even though they don't ship with a newer version of Xorg.

But one thing is for sure... 2006.0 is damn fast again. :D

I'm doing a 2006 install since the 2005.1 when I tried to emerge I had problems with bison and db4. They failed and asked me to supply a bug report.

My 2006 install is working as I like it now, just going through the motions of updates before I proceed with the KDE install.

Paul - Just out of interest, what is this command doing:

emerge -e world && emerge -e world && emerge -e system

isn't that just empyting the tree? Me :unsure:

You guys do it the hard way. I boot into mandrake (can do the same with a live cd I understand) and then chroot into my gentoo partition. Then I use wget to grab a stabe 2 tarball and start my install. It takes me about 24 hours to do a complete install but I have no down time whatsoever.

Mine is ready in 24 hours too :P

First I boot the Gentoo 2006.0 LiveCD and then when in Gnome I start the gui installer. Then I just install, reboot and follow up with a:

emerge --sync
emerge --update --deep world
emerge kde

and then get sound working after that which doesn't take too long.

The only way I'd ever do a stage 3 install is if they no longer made stage 2 tarballs available. When I emerge system I emerge -u system so everything is up to date and I don't have to upgrade later. And I'd much rather compile my own kernel then use genkernel which I have tried and I think it sucks. Up until recently I used mm-sources and now I'm back to using vanilla-sources. To me it defeats the purpose of using gentoo if you use so many precompiled binaries. But then that's just me. :P

Forgot to add that the only time I do an emerge -e system && emerge - e world is when I'm switching versions of gcc and want to recompile everything with the new gcc version. I know not everybody does this (tyme for example :P) but it is recommended by the gentoo docs.