Wine+mIRC

Is there any particular reason why you want to use mirc under wine? Perhaps a Linux based client would work better.

Here is a list of some Linux/Unix based clients that perhaps you could try:

http://www.ircreviews.org/clients/platforms-unix.html

I don't use irc myself, but unless there is a specific reason to run it under wine, maybe a Linux client would be better.

Why not just show them how to use xchat? It's simpler than mIRC (IMHO) and...well, it works, which seems to be more than we can say for mIRC under WINE.

I doubt you're going to find anyone who will have tried to get mIRC working in WINE, as most people would use one of the various IRC clients available for Linux (xchat, kvirc, konversation, etc.) and just not bother with the hassle ;).

But, if you must work on an answer, look for any error messages that are output to the terminal after you use wine to start mIRC and try selecting things in the user list.

But be aware, it may simply be a bug (in WINE or even mIRC itself), and you may never get it working properly. You could save yourself a -lot- of wasted hassle if you just teach how to use one of the Linux IRC clients to whomever needs it. ;)

(Also, if they are adamant about using mIRC, they may want to use mIRC because of certain "scripts" available to it...which may be of a questionable nature/legality)

I would say that the multiple selection thing is an issue between wine and mirc, and not related to the fonts. Chances are you'll not get it solved. If they want mirc, best to boot Windows.

Wine has it's limitations, some things cannot be fixed. Some apps can't be used/ran. It's the way it is. I use Lotus Notes under wine, and whilst it works, there are some issues. I can't resolve them. If I don't want the issue to happen, I have to run it under Windows. But it mostly works. This will be the same for you and mirc.