Linux is coded in which languages?

wakish

Hey! What's wrong with Java!? :P

personally, i don't like interpreted languages where not necessary...i mean, for the www interpreted languages have a use, but on a system, imho, compiled languages are the better choice. unless there's some major portability requirements. even then, we've seen programs ported with little to now effort from one OS to another.

but then, i'm not sure that was a serious question :unsure:

It was a half serious question - I know a lot of people don't like Java, but I've been a Java man for years; it provides my income!

I've now started looking at C# which is interpreted as well and is actually pretty fast. I think because there aren't the same portability considerations that you have with Java. With mono you can run C# on unix as well...

Anyway - this is all getting a little :offtopic:

Now, if you were suggesting a re-write in Fortran, thats something I would support..... (j/k)

Explain...??

but fortran is not so fast..and its libs are not so versatile like those in C..is it?

Its also important because its a collective effort and minimising libraries. If one developer starts using C++ libs then everyone would need to and the kernel size would increase whereby most developers will continue using only the C libs.

yeah..hey morever C will not be changing at all (well will it?) like C++ is doing or any other language..

I think this is one feature that makes so many programmers stick to C..the langauge is here as it was..

But one thing which sometimes i don't like about C is that we don't have a nice manipulation of strings as we have with C++...

Edited by wakish

Now, if you were suggesting a re-write in Fortran, thats something I would support..... (j/k) :P

Explain...??

but fortran is not so fast..and its libs are not so versatile like those in C..is it?

I believe he was making a joke, not a serious suggestion.

Its also important because its a collective effort and minimising libraries. If one developer starts using C++ libs then everyone would need to and the kernel size would increase whereby most developers will continue using only the C libs.

yeah..hey morever C will not be changing at all (well will it?) like C++ is doing or any other language..

I think this is one feature that makes so many programmers stick to C..the langauge is here as it was..

But one thing which sometimes i don't like about C is that we don't have a nice manipulation of strings as we have with C++...

i was expecting some comments on this :wall: :unsure:

Now, if you were suggesting a re-write in Fortran, thats something I would support..... (j/k)

Explain...??

(j/k) = just kidding.

Numerically Fortran is very fast, faster than C in some applications. But, the libs are not very versatile and text handling is a pig. It's mainly used for scientific tasks that require lots of number crunching and in it's 90/95 forms it's really not that bad.