Let's discuss distribution names...

Scirious

People, I'm really amazed how some distributions' names can sound so badly in (Brazilian) Portuguese. I'd like to know what they sound to you.

For example:

Fedora - It sounds similar to the word "Fedor" which means something that smells really bad.

Debian - Sounds like the word "debiloide"which is a word used to offend people meaning that htey are retarded.

SUSE - It sounds like the name of a doll similar to Barbie or a girls name. =P

Gentoo - It just sounds like a cow's sound!!!

Mandriva - (Sorry, but I have to say it) sounds like "Mandruvá" which is a plague that destroys grapes plantations.

What about you? Do they or any other sounds strange too?

Scirious.

Well I'll jump to defend the name of what I use :)

http://www.siec.k12.in.us/~west/proj/penguins/gentoo.html

Gentoo penguins have a wide white stripe that goes across the tops of their heads from one eye to the other. They have a very bright orange beak. They are the largest members of the stiff-tailed family. They live on many of the islands of the Antarctic region but the main colony is on the Falklands. There are about 300,000 breeding pairs on the islands. They live in large and noisy breeding colonies
gent2.jpg

It would be impossible to find any name in one language that if you hunted through all other languages you could not find something similar in spelling that was offensive or derogratory in meaning.

It is basically a pointless discussion. A product named from one language should be marketed in another language by a name that means the same in that language.

This is shown by the number of US companys in particular that make this gaffe when Marketing internationally and insisting on using the original US name without considering its consequences.

Cheers. John.

A famous gaffe (not Linux related) was when Mitubishi introduced some 15 years ago a new offroad vehicle, which was named Pajero ( if I'm not mistaken, in spanish meaning something very close to "land worker" ). Alas, they didn't know that in spanish slang "pajero" meant "wanker", only to find out after the abysmal sales of the first quarters in spanish-speaking regions...

Let's not forget about Ixriva or Ixroo. What do those names mean?????

You've taken to releasing your own versions of Linux now? Look out, there will be "ixusers.org" popping up shortly :P

Condorux sounds pretty bad in german and reminds me of condoms. :D

Burapha sounds like... errm... *burp* and Guadalinex sounds like Kleenex.... and the list goes on and on. :lol: