A Brief Huzzah!

Guest Tallanvor

Guest Tallanvor

I have to cheer, as at last I have managed to get *everything* working in Linux. Over the last five years, I have dabbled, usually with RedHat or Mandrake/Mandriva, once with Slackware, and only now have I got wifi working, the ACPI on my laptop working, my USB disks working properly, hell even my scanner works.

At last I am happy to remove my Windows partitions and use just Linux. Thanks Mandriva!

Congratulations and welcome to MUB. It is a marvellous feeling when it all finally comes together and you can at last remove the windows gates amd obsticles that obstruct your view of the open world at large. :thumbs:

Cheers. John.

I echo everybody's sentiments. Congrats and welcome. I only use windows for work and have been using only linux for about 3 1/2 years. This box that I built I swore would never have windows on it. I have Gentoo, Mandriva, and LFS. And it rocks! :D

Guest Tallanvor

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. :D

A brief rundown of my systems:

The Desktop:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

1Gb RAM

80Gb WD PATA HDD

120Gb WD PATA HDD

K8N Neo (nForce) mobo

Radeon 9600

Audigy 2

Buffalo Airstation 54g (via NDISwrapper)

zBoard (not set up properly yet)

Logitech mx518 (not set up properly yet)

NEC DVD +/- RW

Canoscan LiDE30

The laptop:

Samsung V25

ACPI via custom DSDT in initrd

Linksys WPC54g via NDISwrapper

Everything else on the laptop ran out of the box

I now have two final steps to perform, which are to make the second HDD in the desktop linux-native (rather than NTFS), and the USB HDD on my laptop the same.

I now have two final steps to perform, which are to make the second HDD in the desktop linux-native (rather than NTFS), and the USB HDD on my laptop the same.

It might be worth thinking about making the USB HDD FAT format, that way you can still easily access the files from windows in an emergency or similar whilst safely being able to read and write from it in Linux.

I wouldn't say obsolete as such, since you can still use it with Windows XP and so forth. The main thing is file sharing between Windows/Linux systems, and this really is the only option for the time being, since writing to NTFS partitions isn't exactly fast and/or stable at present :P

But hope for the future, that there will be a file system you can share through that is better than FAT.