odd problems

I installed linux mandriva on my toshiba (I made a partition from the windows c: hard disk for mandriva).

I am facing 2 problems:

1) I can't resrtat the system from mandriva meaning that when I click on the restrat button mandriva shuts down but LILO (an interface which lets me choose what os to boot) won't appear and the system hangs. However I can restart from windows.

2)i am having graphic crashes (the screen turns white I lose many graphic contents like icons windows and i get funny colors) mandriva knows what's my graphic card it recognized it during the os installation (nvidia geforce go 6600).

I checked my hardware configurations these are under unknown/other:

Vendor: ‎Intel Corp.

Description: ‎I/O Controller Hub Modem

Media class: ‎COMMUNICATION_MODEM

Connection

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus PCI #: ‎0

PCI device #: ‎30

PCI function #: ‎3

Vendor ID: ‎32902

Device ID: ‎9837

Sub vendor ID: ‎4473

Sub device ID: ‎1

Misc

Module: ‎snd-intel8x0m

********************************************************************************

Vendor: ‎Texas Instruments

Description: ‎Texas Instruments PCI6411, PCI6421, PCI6611, PCI6621, PCI7411, PCI7421, PCI7611, PCI7621 Secure Digital (SD) Controller

Media class: ‎NOT_DEFINEDIdentification

Vendor: ‎Texas Instruments

Description: ‎Texas Instruments PCI6411, PCI6421, PCI6611, PCI6621, PCI7411, PCI7421, PCI7611, PCI7621 Secure Digital (SD) Controller

Media class: ‎NOT_DEFINED

Connection

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus PCI #: ‎4

PCI device #: ‎11

PCI function #: ‎4

Vendor ID: ‎4172

Device ID: ‎32820

Sub vendor ID: ‎4473

Sub device ID: ‎1

Misc

Module: ‎unknown

********************************************************************************

Vendor: ‎TOSHIBA

Description: ‎TOSHIBA

Connection

Bus: ‎DMI

Misc

Module: ‎Module:toshiba

Vendor: ‎TOSHIBA

Description: ‎TOSHIBA

Connection

Bus: ‎DMI

Misc

Module: ‎Pkg:toshutils

do i need drivers for those devices are they known to mandriva because they can be just simply other devices...

Why do you think i can't the system restart from mandriva...

Why do you think i these have graphic crashes (screen turns white some window content disappear)

Pease help...thank you

What model laptop is it? I use a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 with Mandriva 2006 and WIndows dual boot, all is OK.

If you can list hardware too, that would help. From prompt, do "lspci" to list.

mandriva knows what's my graphic card it recognized it during the os installation (nvidia geforce go 6600).

If you installed mandriva 2006, you need to install the nvidia driver if you have not done so already. The open source driver for that card is known to be buggy and will give you the problems set forth in your items 1 and 2. You need the closed source linux driver from nvidia which is not included on the downloaded version of mdv2006. If you haven't installed the nvidia driver, post back.

I have a GEForce Go 420 in my laptop, and none of the drivers from nvidia work for me (Toshiba Satellite - Work laptop, not the one mentioned before, that has Intel).

The default Mandriva 2006 drivers work for me on my laptop, but no real glx performance. You might be lucky with your geforce go card to get a driver that works from nvidia.

As pmpatrick says, download this and install, it's real easy. You will need to install your kernel-source that matches your installed kernel.

mandriva knows what's my graphic card it recognized it during the os installation (nvidia geforce go 6600).

If you installed mandriva 2006, you need to install the nvidia driver if you have not done so already. The open source driver for that card is known to be buggy and will give you the problems set forth in your items 1 and 2. You need the closed source linux driver from nvidia which is not included on the downloaded version of mdv2006. If you haven't installed the nvidia driver, post back.

Actually i didn't install the closed sourve nvidia driver i will thanks

What model laptop is it? I use a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 with Mandriva 2006 and WIndows dual boot, all is OK.

If you can list hardware too, that would help. From prompt, do "lspci" to list.

It's a toshiba Qosmio

hardware list:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)

00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)

00:1f.2 Class 0106: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce Go 6600] (rev a2)

04:05.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)

04:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562ET/EZ/GT/GZ - PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller Mobile (rev 03)

04:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

04:0b.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller

04:0b.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

04:0b.3 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller

04:0b.4 Class 0805: Texas Instruments PCI6411, PCI6421, PCI6611, PCI6621, PCI7411, PCI7421, PCI7611, PCI7621 Secure Digital (SD) Controller