How do I get URPMI to fetch all packages before..?

Scirious

I had an impression urpmi fetches packages "per transaction". Usually in small installs/updates that will be one transaction, indeed, but sometimes I observe several "batches" of download-prepare-install cycles.

In any case, running urpmi --test package-to-install-or-upgrade will download all needed RPMs to the cache (and check whether thety can be installed, but don't take "installation is possible" as a "yes"). Subsequent command w/o "--test" will install them from the cache. I am not sure about the size of the cache, though. It seems to be big enough to fit KDE.

hth

If you want to download one or all of the urpmi sources, you can use rsync, which will then download everything, no matter what language version, and then you effectively have mirrored that particular repository.

Then, when it changes, or updates get posted there, you can rerun rsync, and it'll download the changes. You could then have ftp running on this machine, and get all other machines to get their updates from your now locally running ftp mirror.

Although, this is probably overkill, since you'd been downloading GB's of data.

I think he just wants to download the packages he wants to install (not everything available). Then he can load them once he's off line. If I'm not mistaken, to do this all he would have to do is go to a site, such as ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linu...0/main_updates/ and download what he wants. Then he can install what he wants.

People, actually I don't want to have the entire RPM tree. What I'm telling is, for example, if a command such urpmi --auto-select has to install packages A, B, C and D. Package A has no dependencies but package B depends on C which now depends on D. URPMI will just download and install package A and after having package A instaled it will download B, C and D and install them. What I want is to have A, B, C and D downloaded before instaling any of them. So it won't install package A before having downloaded A, B, C and D.

Installing a package usually lags my system while download doesn't. So if I am updating it I will have many little lags which will preventme from using my computer. If it could download everything before I could keep using my computer util it is time to really install everything.

That's always been the way it's worked for me. For instance, if I type urpmi gtk2-devel, it will download all of the packages and dependies to the cache, and then it will install them. But it doesn't start actually installing them until they've all been downloaded to the cache.

As fas as I've noticed on mine, it always downloads all packages first before it installs them. However, if installing a lot of packages, it does stop partway through and install certain things and then continues. This is probably because what it was downloading at the time was dependencies resolved, install, and then continue.

The parameter I think you're looking for is "--no-install". Therefore, an example:

urpmi --auto-select --no-install

Will download all packages required for full system update, but not install them. Then later, you'll have to issue the command again, without the --no-install so it will install what it's just downloaded.

There doesn't seem to be a command you can issue which stops them installing until the end. However, if you do the updates using the gui MandrivaUpdate, then it will download everything before it installs them. It's only using the urpmi command which installs part way through.