Show off your Desktop - March 2006

Darkelve

Just installed Gentoo on a spare partition. Here is a first look at my 30 minutes old Gnome desktop (I still need to emerge a lot of apps... and my soundcard is currently dead.. :mellow: ). Nothing fancy but a nice start.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just installed Gentoo on a spare partition. Here is a first look at my 30 minutes old Gnome desktop (I still need to emerge a lot of apps... and my soundcard is currently dead.. :mellow: ). Nothing fancy but a nice start.

:P nice

is that a default theme arctic?

I'm offline for a while, this be last screenshot for this month.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs73&d=06121&f=Screenz.png

Edited by johnz

Correct. No Gentoo default theme. It is a simple mix of Blended-Small-Square (metacity), Crimson (gtk) and Snowish icons. The wallpaper was on one of my backup CDs and should still be somewhere on the net. Just google for gentoo wallpapers. ;)

Ditched Mandriva for technical reasons after all those years. This my new system and my first sreenie ever here. PCLOS after a day of usage.

You do know PCLOS is Mandriva-based? :P I don't know what differences there are between the two, though.

AFAIK, PCLinuxOS does not have the nvidia and ati problems that Mandriva has. It is only one CD, has a slightly changed control center and lacks many localizations due to lack of manpower. If you want to run it e.g. in hindi, I guess you will run into some problems. If this is not true anymore, forget about what I said.

Ditched Mandriva for technical reasons after all those years. This my new system and my first sreenie ever here. PCLOS after a day of usage.

You do know PCLOS is Mandriva-based? :P I don't know what differences there are between the two, though.

Yeah I didn't run too far. The most important difference is that it seems stable and it's fresh.

And I know about the localization problems since I've already met them. Never said PCLOS is perfect but imo it is what Mandriva could and should be on desktop. Mandriva even could be better since it has the manpower.