Help with refresh rates and nvidia control panel

Guest Recall

Guest Recall

First off, please do not aim me at google as I am just a little fed up with searching and getting no answers. Secondly I have looked at the refresh sticky and it does not help me at all. Thanks.

Anyway, I have the following setup:

Nvidia 6800GT < Drivers installed but cannot find the NVIDIA ( not mandrake ) control panel

Iiyama 454 Monitor < Cannot setup the refresh rates I want.

So as you can see I am unable to setup the correct refresh rate of my monitor. It has the correct settings for horizontal and vertical in the xorg but only gives me a max of 85hz. Now my monitor is capable of 120hz, although I wish to run it at 100hz.

Just some info:

1:) Please do not assume I know anything, as I am a noob at Linux. I post regularly on another forum and they assumed alot of commands etc that I have no idea about resulting in much frustration.

2:) I tried using vi to edit my XF86config but no idea on how to save the file.

3:) I have googled for hours and no luck in setting up.

4:) I have tried other distros, Ubuntu which was terrible and slow. Suse which was nice but slow as hell, however it was able to detect my monitors refresh rate correctly.

I am sorry if I come across as a bit anti. Its just I am terribly frustrated with the documentation on Linux and the atittude of members on the other forum I post regulary on. All I want to do is get my refresh rate sorted and access to the nVidia control panel for AA/AF.

Thanks in advance/.

If you are sure you have installed the stock nvidia driver, simply press alt+F2 and then

nvidia-settings

If it doesn't come up, your driver installation isn't good (which was also the case with a few nvidia driver packages from PLF and other places).

Instead of using vi, you can use nano (much easier), or Midnight Commander, which wraps the vi editor in a most comprehensible way. Anyway, for saving in vi you should press ":w filename".

All that said- you shouldn't push your monitor over 85Hz, (or 60Hz if it's TFT). Your Mitsubishi CRT should work optimally at anything in the 75-85Hz range, the choice is subjective (you shouldn't spot any real difference, unless you use your computer for DTP).

100Hz is a bad solution, as it's the double of the regular AC frequency, so unless you use a very effective current filter you could easily encounter flickering (in some countries this applies for 2*60=120Hz).

Edited by scarecrow

Any screen frequencys over 65/70 hz is pointless since your eyes can't detect any difference above 65 ( unless you are a very young child)

anything below 60 wil show flicker on the screen.

Raising the screen refreash rate is only significent when playing some computer games and since most of the new games that need it can't be played in Linux then there is little point.

Scarecrows point about multiples of the mains frequencys can be a problem but mostly with cheap computer power supplies that have only average smoothing and filtering. The power supplys for the monitors are now days quite sophisticated and not a source of concern.

I used a Mitsubishi Monitor at 70hz in Linux and set the same in Win2000 even though it could run at 85hz there.

The reason for making the sync speeds the same in Win2000 and Linux is so that one does not have to keep physically resetting the screen position when changing from one OS to the other.

Cheers. John.

Welcome aboard. :)

I am sorry if I come across as a bit anti. Its just I am terribly frustrated with the documentation on Linux and the atittude of members on the other forum I post regulary on. All I want to do is get my refresh rate sorted and access to the nVidia control panel for AA/AF.

We do understand that users will be frustrated sooner or later if things don't work. No problem there. We will try to explain things in detail. Whenever you feel that you don't understand something or if our members get too technical/geeky, just tell them. We will try our best to explain things so everyone understands what he should do and why he should do it.

Remember, there are no stupid questions and there is no reason to be shy. We were all once newcomers to Linux.

For now, try to follow scarecrows advice. And yes, pico/nano is way easier to handle than vi. Just give it a try when you have a spare minute.

Okay, enough of this. Good luck. :beer: