ndiswrapper post-install problems (Netgear WPN111)

aweller

Dear all,

I was playing with the latest tar.gz ndiswrapper yesterday (1.10) to get my wireless USB device (Netgear WPN111) working as per the instructions given at:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...on#Installation

and yippee, it just worked! I could reboot and everything.

I switched on my machine this morning - nothing (I have not changed anything in my config)! So, I went for a reinstall - nothing?!?

I am lost. Very strange, eh? (The device still works in Windows.)

Does anyone have any clues?

Regards, Andy

I was playing with this again last night. It seems to be _very_ temperamental and I don't know why?!? After rebooting into Windows to make sure it still works (ie, do I get it replaced at the store?), then back into Linux, hey-presto, it works!

I am sure that I have set everything right, including ndiswrapper in /etc/modules for boot.

Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Thanks, Andy

Which driver are you using for it? Did you use the one from the CD you got for the Windows driver, or did you check the card against the ndiswrapper database, and download the driver they recommended there?

I am using the .inf driver that came with the Windows driver CD. It is the one that is recommended here: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...ndex.php/List#N (No. 39 - netwpn11.inf + wpn111.sys + ar5523.bin), although my ndiswrapper-automated pciid is 1358:5f00, whereas they suggest 1358:5f01.

Strange that it is temperamental...

Edited by aweller

Check that you have ndiswrapper loading in /etc/modprobe.preload

cat /etc/modprobe.preload

if it doesn't appear at the bottom of the file, edit this file and at the bottom put "ndiswrapper" without the quotes.

Then, check that you have the following in /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

as long as that exists as well, all should be OK. Sometimes even if the alias wlan0 exists, there are still problems starting at bootup. Make sure ndiswrapper exists in modprobe.preload and it should be OK.

hi andy,

i run a wg 111 (i think). i always use the drives from the netgear page (latest downloads if possible). ndiswrapper has ALWAYS been a little flakey for me. here's what i have to do....unfortunately.

1. i do a modprobe -r ndiswrapper (or /sbin/modprobe...)

2. sometimes i physically remove the device.

3. then i either modprobe ndiswrapper or let the os auto-load the module when it detects the nic.

if you're looking for solid stability in linux with wireless i suggest shopping around for a nic whose manufacturer distributes well-tested drivers (modules) for that nic. for instance: intel pro wireless 2100/2200.

good luck with it all. if anyone has a solution, let me know.

I can't figure it out. I am sure this is set up correctly. It is supposed to work in ndiswrapper, but the last time it did was yesterday morning!

I have an "alias..." in /etc/modprobe.conf

and have swapped "ndiswrapper" between /etc/modprobe.preload & /etc/modules

Strange?!? (I am now writing this in Windows!) I have a little more patience, then I'm swapping this NIC for another. Can anyone suggest one that supports Linux and will work with/have the following:

* USB NIC

* Supports 108 Mbps

* Compatible with the Netgear WPN824 router (www.netgear.com/products/details/WPN824.php)

(Maybe the Intel pro wireless 2100/2200 is this?)

Thanks, Andy

Edited by aweller

I'm using an atheros chipset based one, which works only with ndiswrapper, but was easily enough to configure.

The problem is that it gets detected as ath0 by Mandriva, and therefore the alias line reads alias ath0 ndiswrapper instead of wlan0. And adding ndiswrapper to the modprobe.preload, and it's all done.

I also configured with wpa_supplicant as well for security on the access point. I'm using a netgear access point too, however my card is only 54mbps.

Seen a lot of problems trying to get the Intel one working.

Mine is a minipci fitted inside my laptop. I've heard of a lot of problems trying to get usb wireless to work, which is why I tend to get PCI or other alternatives that USB based. Although it's not impossible to get the usb ones working, just quite difficult it seems.

Maybe it's because the pciid is incorrect? When I installed ndiswrapper the pciid is (currently) 1358:5f00, whereas on the ndiswrapper web-site they suggest 1358:5f01.

Can I just change this manually? Would that make a difference?

Cheers, Andy