Problem with booting up my laptop [solved]

Guest snook

I have installd Mandriva 2006 on my laptop Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 2.4 Ghz 256 Ram Ati mobility 30gigabyte Hd

But when the installation is complete and i reboot the system, it says theres something wrong with the filesystem on /dev/hda1 and i must run fsck.ext3. And that dosent work. After that i are droped to a shell.

I used the "use and erase the hole disk" when i installd Mandriva.

Its driving me crazy...I haved tryed to install 3 times.

What kind of harddrive is it? ATA or SATA and which vendor/model is the drive? Was the drive completely empty before you installed Mandriva or was it pre-formatted (e.g. with Windows on a NTFS partition)? What partition Layout do you currently have? Only one partition? Can you mount the drive from a live-CD (like Knoppix)?

What kind of harddrive is it? ATA or SATA and which vendor/model is the drive? Was the drive completely empty before you installed Mandriva or was it pre-formatted (e.g. with Windows on a NTFS partition)? What partition Layout do you currently have? Only one partition? Can you mount the drive from a live-CD (like Knoppix)?

1. Ata

2. Dont know

3. It was rewrighted with zeroes with Maxtor disk checker.

4. I dont know, its was auto created with the installation of Mandriva

5. Cant get it to work (but i am no good with it)

When you say the fsck doesn't work, how do you mean? Does it say it's a bad command, or that it doesn't run at all, or when you type it, it just returns to the console prompt, or dies it say that the drive is mounted and cannot be checked?

Maybe try another installation, choose custom partitioning and choose reiserfs instead of ext3 partitions, and see how you go from there. Make sure you configure a swap partition of 512MB minimum, although no need to go greater than 1GB. Then create a / partition and /home partition for your private files.

When you say the fsck doesn't work, how do you mean? Does it say it's a bad command, or that it doesn't run at all, or when you type it, it just returns to the console prompt, or dies it say that the drive is mounted and cannot be checked?

Maybe try another installation, choose custom partitioning and choose reiserfs instead of ext3 partitions, and see how you go from there. Make sure you configure a swap partition of 512MB minimum, although no need to go greater than 1GB. Then create a / partition and /home partition for your private files.

fsck says theres an error and then it dropps me to a shell

OK and when in the shell, did you type:

fsck /dev/hda1

or whatever the partition numbers you have? Did it work? To find out what partitions you have, type this first:

fdisk -l /dev/hda

if your using sata/scsi drives, then change hda to sda.

OK and when in the shell, did you type:

fsck /dev/hda1

or whatever the partition numbers you have? Did it work? To find out what partitions you have, type this first:

fdisk -l /dev/hda

if your using sata/scsi drives, then change hda to sda.

I tryed it in Rescue mode but then it says theres nothing wrong with it.

Its something thant not working right......

I tryed to do an install with Ubuntu now and that work fine...

Weard......

Please help....Dont like ubuntu....I LOVE Mandriva ;)

Try one more installation of Mandriva. When you come to partitioning, choose custom, and then delete all partitions that exist if you have no data to worry about.

Then click the auto-allocate button, and then continue with the install, and see how you get on. Another alternative, is when creating partitions do it manually instead, and use reiserfs instead of ext3 as the file system type and see if that works any better for you.

Create 3 partitions as below:

swap = 1gb

/ = 15gb

/home = 14gb

that works out to about 30gb. Make sure reiserfs and see how it works then.

Try one more installation of Mandriva. When you come to partitioning, choose custom, and then delete all partitions that exist if you have no data to worry about.

Then click the auto-allocate button, and then continue with the install, and see how you get on. Another alternative, is when creating partitions do it manually instead, and use reiserfs instead of ext3 as the file system type and see if that works any better for you.

swap = 1gb

/ = 15gb

/home = 14gb

Ok thanx so much !

I will try it right away......

Will post later and tell how it works or not

swap = 1gb

/ = 15gb

/home = 14gb

Can you guess witch OS I have running now.......Mandriva 2006

Its work fine with reiserfs. Very strange that its not working with ext3?

Thanx for our help....

Man, Ian, you are damn fast. Just popped back in from shopping and everything is sorted out... meeeeh...

Just one thing though: I would be careful now. Check your /var/log/messages file on a regular basis during the first weeks that you use Mandriva. Watch out for any filesystem or harddrive related error messages. I hope that there won't be some but who knows? It can well be that an error pops up and it is better to find it before it causes any serious damage. If you don't find any warnings/timeouts/filesystem errors in "messages" after a week, then relax. :)