"No CDROM was found" error when installing

shay

Hello,

I am new with Mandriva.

I have a new desktop with WD sata HD & LG DVDRW.

I tried to install Mandriva with no luck.

I used the official 10.1 DVD version and the 10.0 CD version.

In both cased I used a bootable CD/DVD.

With both version I get an error that "No CDROM was found".

In the 10.1 the installation is halt after that message.

In the 10.0 it continue but then I am been direct to a screen with a list of drivers that I am suppose to pick from.

I looked around the forum. I disabled the PNP in the bios. That did not helped.

I verified that the SATA in enabled in the BIOS.

I verfied the MD5 checksum.

Can someone please help on this.

Linux still has some (currently minor) issues with SATA CD-ROM's.

On kernels 2.6.12 (as Mandrivas) and 2.6.13 support is present, but buggy, so its disabled by default.

I believe 2.6.14+ have working support, but since I don't have SATA-atapi I won't sware.

A dirty solution: Install from a plain IDE-atapi drive, and then on the installed system find /include/linux/libata.h

Change there

#undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI

to

#define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI

Of course since the code is not terribly good you should do that change at your own risk.

Better is using a distro with kernel 2.6.14+

Regards.

Linux still has some (currently minor) issues with SATA CD-ROM's.

On kernels 2.6.12 (as Mandrivas) and 2.6.13 support is present, but buggy, so its disabled by default.

I believe 2.6.14+ have working support, but since I don't have SATA-atapi I won't sware.

A dirty solution: Install from a plain IDE-atapi drive, and then on the installed system find /include/linux/libata.h

Change there

#undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI

to

#define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI

Of course since the code is not terribly good you should do that change at your own risk.

Better is using a distro with kernel 2.6.14+

Regards.

The LG DVD-RW is not SATA (does it?).

The WD HD is SATA.

Where I can get distro with kernel 2.6.14+ ?

Does Mandriva has it ?

The LG DVD-RW is not SATA (does it?).

The WD HD is SATA.

Where I can get distro with kernel 2.6.14+ ?

Does Mandriva has it ?

How should I know if it's SATA or not? Hitachi/Lucky Goldstar does make SATA CD-ROM's, and also rebrands as LG some Toshiba drives- which model it is?

Mandriva still uses kernel 2.6.12, with many patches from newer versions- which may or may not bring sata-atapi support, I have no real idea.

Many distros use kernel 2.6.14 or newer... happy searching at www.distrowatch.com

Tip: An "easy for newbies" distro with a very fresh kernel revision is Mepis Linux ( = customized Debian Etch). Same goes for PCLinuxOS, which is very similar to Mandriva (although on the installation medium the kernel is still 2.6.12-something).

Edited by scarecrow

How should I know if it's SATA or not? Hitachi/Lucky Goldstar does make SATA CD-ROM's, and also rebrands as LG some Toshiba drives- which model it is?

Mandriva still uses kernel 2.6.12, with many patches from newer versions- which may or may not bring sata-atapi support, I have no real idea.

Many distros use kernel 2.6.14 or newer... happy searching at www.distrowatch.com

Tip: An "easy for newbies" distro with a very fresh kernel revision is Mepis Linux ( = customized Debian Etch). Same goes for PCLinuxOS, which is very similar to Mandriva (although on the installation medium the kernel is still 2.6.12-something).

The DVD-RW is not SATA. I verified it

I will try Fedora core 4 (downloading DVD iso now)

I realized (http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html) that this version support SATA. The HD is SATA.

Any tips with Fedora core 4 ?

Edited by shay

Any tips with Fedora core 4 ?

No, the installer (Anaconda) is pretty easy.

The hard part begins when you want to use MP3, java, audio and video codecs, P2P applications... on Fedora you can only get such stuff from unofficial repositories, with packages of rather poor quality. It's also much more "bleeding edge" than Mandriva, which means buggier and more difficult to handle once installed.

By the way I can install Mandriva 2006 on my system (i865, two SATA harddisks) without any trouble at all, your i845 chipset is older, so I'm sure the problem was not the SATA harddisk controller.

Edited by scarecrow

By the way I can install Mandriva 2006 on my system (i865, two SATA harddisks) without any trouble at all, your i845 chipset is older, so I'm sure the problem was not the SATA harddisk controller.

What is the different between Mandriva 2006 & 10.1

I tried to install Mandriva 10.1 (DVD iso) & 10.0 (CD iso) not Mandriva 2006

I prefer to work with Mandriva rather with Fedora even though that the main purpose of this machine is a web server running MySQL with PHP.

BTW, I don't think that I mentioned my Chipset.

In any case, Its ASUS P5V800-MX with VIA based chipset (8251) using Intel 531 3.0Ghz 64Bit ;)

Edited by shay

You don't happen to have the onboard software raid enabled, do you?

No. Under Serial ATA IDE Controller you have 3 options: SATA, RAID & Disabled. Its SATA. I tired with disabled also but I still get the "No CDROM was found" error.

Also, can you check within BIOS the hyperthreading settings for the CPU?

Its enabled. I tired it also in disabled mode. No luck.

As for the PnP. Its "No" (off). Also tried it in both situation with no luck.

I have a Q.

Is it possible that since I am using a wireless combo keyboard/mouse (Microsoft), one USB plug, I am having this troubles.

I don't have with me a simple keyboard so I cant test it

I just tried Fedora core 4 and the setup halt (have no keyboard access) after the "CD found" screen.

I am about to try now Mandriva 2006. I hope that I will have a luck with it

Well..... some good news !

I just tried Mandriva 2006 I am getting to the language choice screen but.... no active keyboard.

Before that stage the keyboard is well active.

What should I do.

I have a wireless keyboard. No other keyboard right now here with me.

Thanks

Since your keyboard is cordless it is most likely that the receiver unit for the keyboard is a usb connection.

Make sure that in the BIOS that USB for keyboard is enabled. I can't just think of the actual term that they use in the bios but it should appear to be obvious.

Hope it helps. John.

OK GUYS...... :)

I feel lucky today.

The keyboard and the mouse are not responding after the langue choice screen appear...

I had the feeling that this is due to the fact the the keyboard/mouse receiver has a single USB plug.

Lucky me... I have an old receiver (also Microsoft) that I saved from my old keyboard set. It has a separate PS2 for the keyboard and the mouse. Its working like that.....

I cant proceed with the installation because I am waiting for CD2 & CD3 iso files to be downloaded.

But as its looks now Mandriva 2006 CD1 iso is working

Can someone tell the difference between Mandriva 2006 & Mandriva 10.1.

Since your keyboard is cordless it is most likely that the receiver unit for the keyboard is a usb connection.

Make sure that in the BIOS that USB for keyboard is enabled. I can't just think of the actual term that they use in the bios but it should appear to be obvious.

Hope it helps. John.

The BIOS was set correctly.

I have a strong feeling that its a matter of a driver.

But I am a MS guys.... :)

Thanks guy ;)

Edited by shay

The range of difference is considerable like almost 2yrs. Not a verygood analogy but a little bit like Win98-Second Edition and Windows2000.

The version in between 10.1 and 2006 was called both 10.2 and also 2005-Limited Edition. The Limited bit was a bit of an unintended joke because ther was nothing limited in it at all. It was and is an excellent version, quick and reliable. I still run an install of it as well 2006.

Cheers. John.

Regarding the USB aspect.

I have the Asus A7V600-X mainboard which is the ATX version of your MicroATX board so I am confident that they use the same bios setup.

I just did a check and found the setting I was referring to earlier but couldn't remember its wording.

It is under ADVANCED and is called ..........USB Legacy Support. It is intended for usb mice and keyboards and needs to be enabled if using usb mice and or keyboard.

It should not be confused with the I/O Device Configuration........USB Controller .....which certainly should be enabled and is also located in ADVANCED lower down.

Cheers. John.