Which Jabber server to use?

Scirious

I'm not sure which is better, the only one I have seen in action was ejabbered and it seems to be pretty straight-forward stuff.

That said, do you have to run an internal server? Why not just make use of one of the thousands of available servers on the net.

I'm not sure which is better, the only one I have seen in action was ejabbered and it seems to be pretty straight-forward stuff.

That said, do you have to run an internal server? Why not just make use of one of the thousands of available servers on the net.

because running it internally is much more secure. no data will go outside of your network, and employees will only be able to communicate with other employees, not any of their friends. It's a much more secure idea (especially if you encode it), and less likely to decrease productivity.

Oh yeah, and plus you can log all conversations, if necessary.

Wel, I have to run my own server because every instant messaging system is blocked in our network. So no one can use any external server for this purpose. But some time ago, before it being blocked it was used as a form of communication between staff. Also we have people here that can't hear working with us so it would ease a lot to have a service like this.

Thanks for your help,

Scirious.