Intel Pro Wireless and My Computer

Guest samdee86

Guest samdee86

I am currently running mandriva 2006 alongside windows on my computer(HP Compaq tc4200(Tablet PC)), and my computer overheats, it does not boot unless I expose it to cold air, like 30F

Then secondly, I have downloaded the drivers for my wireless card but it give me an error whenever I issue the make command

Please Help, I am also considering Installing Mandriva 10.1 because of the overheating problem.

Samuel

Alright, let's take this one problem at a time.

First, hardware. Is this a new computer, and is it custom-built? Does Windows boot okay? Did Mandriva 10.1 work? What are your hardware specs? What is your power supply wattage, and how many fans do you have? Have you checked the BIOS to see if the fans are working at a decent speed?

We'll tackle your network card after we've got this solved.

Man, it's a tablet PC; I don't think he built it himself. It's probably a problem with acpi, the power regulation system. Either that or some runaway process is really tying up the cpu or graphics card causing overheating. Also, I've run into more than one HP/Compaq notebook with overheating problems even in windows.

It's going to be difficult to trouble shoot since you can't keep the system going and investigate. The simplest thing to try is passing some boot options. As soon as you see the boot selection screen, hit the Esc key which will take you to a boot prompt. Type this and hit Enter:

linux noapic nolapic acpi=off

You can also try this if the above doesn't help:

linux noapic nolapic acpi=force

If you can boot up in a cold place and keep the system up for a while, you can open a console and run:

$ top

That will give you a running tally of all running processes and the % cpu usage, among other things. You can see if something is really tying up the cpu.

Edited by pmpatrick