Help with GUI please

Guest Joe

I am a first time linux user and I need help getting my GUI to work correctly. The problem I am having is shown in the image file I attatched. The problem is that there are lines in multiple places in different windows. Also, there are lines left on the desktop when I move windows around. The mouse is also discolored and a very light green/yellow. Can somebody please help? Thanks

Specs:

ati radeon 9800 se

amd athlon xp 1900

768 mb ram

asus motherboard

post-14129-1140541964_thumb.jpg

open the mandriva control center

"configure your computer "

go to hardware , click change resolution , change it from 24 bit to 16 bit or visa versa

see if that helps

No that didn't help. I have a feeling that I have the wrong graphics card selected in the system configuration. Can somebody tell me which one to choose for my 128mb radeon 9800se? I have already tried several including: Radeon; Radeon(fbdev); Radeon(fglrx); ATI Wincharger. I am not sure what to use. Thanks

Edited by Joe

Is that something that you have to select when you install mandriva? or can you install it now? I'm not sure what all was chosen when mandriva was installed because a friend helped me with it. And if the stock drivers were installed, what would they be called in the computer configurator?

Thanks

I did download the drivers from ATI and they didn't work. I have a AOpen F90JS monitor hooked up with the analog cables (not DVI) right now because I don't have the DVI cables with me. I will get them in a few weeks. Would hooking it up analog be a problem?

Does anybody know what graphics card I should select when I run the graphics card "Config tool" from the hardware section in the Control Center? Thanks for any replies

I had the same issue in Mandriva 2006 on my old school laptop. I switched from kdm (kde display manager) to gdm (gnome display manager). It is kind of a pain because I have to logout before I shut down my system but it works much better. No more green and blue lines and messed up icons. I cant tell you exactly how to change your display manager because I'm using a lesser os right now but I believe there is a gui for it in the Control Center. You may need to install gdm as well.

• 3 weeks later...