Oldies you enjoyed

Darkelve

the big issue for us was that i was a kid and mom and dad bought me video game consoles. they didn't cost $2000 at the time and were far more movable. even when they bought a computer, they didn't trust me on it for about 2 years. they thought i'd break it. silly parents. in retrospect, i can't blame them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Console gaming just feels right. Relaxing on the couch is a more logical place to game (which is for relaxation... with me anyway) than sitting upright in an office chair.

I've always played games on anything that can do it - computer, console, arcade... even on my iPaq, mobile phone and iPod... but a console is the preferred platform.

Some more I've remembered:

Commander Keen

Duke Nukem

Final Fight

... I had a fighter game with robots on my 386... can't remember the name... it rocked.

Loom

4x4

California Games

Skate or Die

Search for the King

Macross

Top Gun

Prince of Persia

Console gaming just feels right. Relaxing on the couch is a more logical place to game (which is for relaxation... with me anyway) than sitting upright in an office chair.

ha...sitting upright. that's why you get a comfortable, leaning chair! :P

Still don't beat the couch bruv :P

This may show my age, but I used to enjoy arcade type games on my PC including:

Raptor

Flying Tigers (I and II)

Overkill

Epic Pinball

All are playable using dosbox on linux, but the speed of some of them is too slow to be enjoyable. The mindless shooting was very relaxing.

Some windows games that were fun include:

DX-Ball

Full Tilt! Pinball (cutdown version was in some versions of Windows)

Shanghai Dynasty

I also enjoy playing some of the arcade games that are emulated under MAME (galaxian, gyruss, 1941, puyo puyo, truxton etc) , and of course I own all of the ROMS. ahem. The Metal Slug games were a lot of fun but are not playable under recent versions of MAME.

Edited by apbsa

Not advisable when the keyboard and mouse are used. It's ok relaxing with say a joypad, complicate things and you really need to sort yer posture out.

Anyway between consoles and PC's both have their merits.

I would rather be playing a First Person style or strategy game on a PC, but absolutely hate doing so on a console, sorry but the whole mouse and keyboard combo beats a joypad ands down in this instance.

But when it comes to your traditional beat-em ups/action/platform/sports games consoles win hands down. Okay yo can get a joypad/stick for a PC, but IMHO, they don't compare in quality terms with say a joypad on a playstation, or a megadrive, etc.

I would rather be playing a First Person style or strategy game on a PC, but absolutely hate doing so on a console, sorry but the whole mouse and keyboard combo beats a joypad ands down in this instance.

But when it comes to your traditional beat-em ups/action/platform/sports games consoles win hands down. Okay yo can get a joypad/stick for a PC, but IMHO, they don't compare in quality terms with say a joypad on a playstation, or a megadrive, etc.

I totally agree. I have tried playing FPS' on a console and it just doesn't work, except on the DS where you can use a thumb-stylus to look around, works very well :)

I stopped enjoying strat games so much a while ago but I still like FPS' and I love World of Warcraft - couldn't play that on a console though, need a keyboard for chatting and stuff.

The best control pad I've used imho is the Playstation dual-shock controller. It's a pity they've dropped that design for the PS3 - yet another dumb decision by Sony. The Xbox 360 controller is nice and I can't wait to see if the Wii lives up to the hype.

Back on topic: I have MacMAME loaded on my powerbook and I have found some rad old ROMS. Been reliving Ghost & Ghouls, Final Fight, Bubble Bobble and some of my other old arcade favourites :thumbs:

speaking of ROMs - I'm an avid Castlevania fan. I don't know why, but that series of games is just freakin awesome. i need an SNES emulator for my macbook.

oh yeah, and a game i forgot to mention earlier (and i have no idea why, 'cuz it just rocks):

The Black Cauldron

....I'm an avid Castlevania fan. I don't know why, but that series of games is just freakin awesome.

ditto! i spent hours with castlevania ii on the nes. what a great game. man i miss my old nintendo.

i've got to give props to the xbox 360 with gotham project racing though. man. what an awesome driving game.

• 2 weeks later...

Speedball 2 :D

Sensible Soccer (lots of different versions) :)

Kick Off 2

Syndicate

Cannon Fodder 1 & 2

Supercars 2

Shinobi

Wonderboy in Monsterland :)

Spy vs Spy

Secret of Monkey Island

Barbarian

F15 Strike Eagle 2

AH-73M Thunderhawk

It came from the Desert 2 :)

Lotus Turbo Challenge 1,2 & 3

Populous 2

Utopia

Cabal

North & South

Alien Breed

Pinball Dreams & Fantasies

Dynablasters

IK+

Pang

R-Type 1 & 2

Xenon 2

Microprose F1 GP

Super Off Road

Aliens

Italia 90

Virus

Tekken

Wip3out

Command & Conquer

Mario Kart

That's a 'few' of them :lol2:

Ok, there's been many good games, but really on top were:

- Elite (THE best game for many, many years.)

- Silent Service I+II (Aaah - the destroyer's coming!)

- Civilization (*Real* strategy, no bustling action game on maps AKA "real time strategy".)

- FATE - Gates of Dawn (Biggest CRPG I've ever seen or bought with only very best awards, but economically a loss - sad story.)

- UFO - Enemy Unknown (Addictive from the beginning even before having the first small squad.)

- Ports of Call (Are there still people playing computer games together, i.e. not online but in front of the screen?)

- Pinball Dreams/Pinball Fantasies (Why there's no good pinball game today?)