Mandrake and CDRW

CanuckKev

That may be because of the device name change. In /etc/fstab, the CDROM reader line probably associate /dev/cdrom to /mnt/cdrom, and /dev/cdrom probably is a link to /dev/hdb. So you could try to delete /dev/cdrom, and link it to /dev/scd0 (assuming this is the CD reader) like that:

ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

that's the best solution, but there's a risk that the /dev/cdrom link may be overwitten at reboot. The other solution is to associate /dev/scd0 to /mnt/cdrom in the /etc/fstab file instead of the old device.

Yves.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried as you suggested. Here is the message I receive when trying to mount CD ROM.

Unable to enter file:/mnt/cdrom. You do not have access rights to this location.

Is it only a permission problem? Also my fstab:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=,/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

It appears that the cdrom is still seen as hdb. I tried to create link as you suggested .

This is what followed:

ln: `/dev/cdrom': File exists

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=,/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

It appears that the cdrom is still seen as hdb.

Yes, that's the file you have to change. While at it, why is there a coma (,) before the /dev/hdb? I think you should remove it. And of course, replace /dev/hdb with /dev/cdrom

I tried to create link as you suggested . This is what followed:

ln: `/dev/cdrom': File exists

That's why I told you to first delete the old /dev/cdrom.

Now, as I told you, this /dev/cdrom redefinition may be lost on reboot. If that happens, then don't care about /dev/cdrom anymore, and in /etc/fstab, replace /dev/hdb with /dev/scd0 (of scd1?) instead of replacing it with /dev/cdrom.

Yves.

As I was writing you apparrently already posted. A couple observations. You have two cd drives, one a writer and one an ordinary cdrom both running under scsi emulation. You have one cd drive listed not running under scsi. You have what I beleive to be an erroneous entry in the append line of lilo.conf of "hdx=ide-scsi". If you didn't manually put it in there, it may indicate that the install program had a hard time finding the cdwriter.

Here's my suggestions:

1.Edit fstab to provide entries for both cd drives running under scsi emulation by including the following two lines:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=,/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=,/dev/scd1,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

Remove the line with /dev/hdb. As root, create a new directory in /mnt called cdrom2 to create your mount point for /dev/scd1(i.e. /mnt/cdrom2).

2. Edit lilo.conf append line to read as follows assuming your cd drives are on /dev/hdb and /dev/hdc:

append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi quiet"

I think that should do it. If you continue to have problems you may have to disable supermount and set up desktop icons to manually mount the drives which is pretty easy to do.

Just moticed an error in my prior post. I did a fast cut and paste and incorrectly included the comma before /dev/scd* in both entries for fstab. There should be no comma there. This is the correct form:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd1,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

Just for future reference, fstab will not edit itself when you make configuration changes like running the cd drives under scsi; you have to account for the change in the device files from /dev/hdb & hdc to /dev/scd0 & scd1 by manually editing fstab. Also, you had only one cd drive listed in fstab under /dev/hdb. If you had a cd drive on hdc when you did the install it should have been picked up but apparently it wasn't which may be cause for concern. If you added the drive after the install, then no need to worry. You just need to add the appropriate line in fstab in order to mount and use the drive.

Ok .........making some progress. I now can read my CDROM from file manager. In CD Roast I can see both my CDROM and my CDRW. The only hurtle left is to be able to set up my CDROM as my read device in CDRoast. When trying to do it in the setup everything seems to freeze.

fstab:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd1,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

lilo config:

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=linux

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

ignore-table

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi quiet"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=failsafe

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=windows

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label=floppy

unsafe

Once again thank you for helping it is really a learning experience.

All set. I went to /etc/xcdroast.conf and renamed it xcdroastold.conf. I then launched xcdroast as superuser and setup program again and everything fell into place. I have my CDROM as my read device and my CDRW as my write device.

Thanks a lot ot everyone who helped

To get back on UDF, packet writing on cd-rw...

There is a new thing called Mount Rainier, developed mainly by Philips, marketed under the name EasyWrite, and most new burners have it.

(So yes, with older drives you're SOL)

Mount Rainier makes a true floppy replacement out of your cd-rw burner + disc. Dvd+rw is similar.

With UDF you have less than the normal 650MB or 700MB that the disc is marked with, due to the extra error correction stuff.

Now, MountRainier/EasyWrite formatted discs have even less space.

Why? Simple, the error correction/defect correction mechanism on UDF/classical packet writing is not good enough. It would be, if the disc were in a cartridge. Which it isn't.

Basically, MountRainier should be in the 2.4.21pre kernels, but I haven't found anything. I know Philips opened the door enough for linux, but I don't have a drive to test...

Anyway, I'd advice anyone to stay away from the classical UDF stuff, and step up to the new EasyWrite thing.

Dvd+rw will do the same for you, as soon as you can afford it...

In the mean time, just write cd-rw's as cd-r's, so they can be read everywhere.

I thought everything was all set. When trying yesterday to copy on the fly from CDRoast the program froze. When I rebooted X would not restart. I tried everything and finally put installation CD back in and updated system. I believe the problem was in X86config. Everything was back up and running except now my CDROM was IDE and could not be used as read device in CDROAST. Today I downloaded and installed the latest alpha for cdroast (13) Everything went smoothly. It recognizes my CDROM (IDE)as the read device and my CDRW as the write device. The problem is now I have no permissions to access either from a file manager either as user or root. There is also a duplicate entry for my CDRW. One is for IDE and the other as SCSI. Can this be removed?

Any advice?

I have been using k3b with my writer and my reader, for duplicating, iso's, backup, everything works fine. I am currently running Mandrake 9.1RC2. It is best to manually edit /etc/fsab. I keep my configuration in /home/dan so that all I have to do is run the setup program after an install/upgrade. Try k3b.

K3b does require scsi emulation for both drives, and I did have to remove, or "hash out", lines that would conflict, but it works fine. I also burn at full speed (24X) with no errors.

here is my new fstab:

here is also the pertinent line from my lilo conf. :

append="devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi failsafe"

I can read my CDROM from cdroast but have no permission to access drive from Konqueror either as user or root.