Mandrake and CDRW

CanuckKev

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Install a burning program would be a good place to start.  :-)  

Seriously, though I use either eroaster or K3b. Both are on the cd's or can be installed by using urpmi.

Eroaster is installed, and doing a CDR is no problem. Its the RW part I want...

Anyone know if UDF is supported by the base kernal in 9.0?

UDF is used for packet-writing, which is the format for things like DirectCD. Read support is fine, but read-write is considered experimental. I think DVD's may also use the UDF system. I'm not sure *how* you would write to a UDF system, I assume it would be along the lines of mount with rw and write like any other filesystem.

There is very little in the way of packet writing software for linux right now. You can find some experimental tools which may or may not work. It looks like it will be included in the 2.6 kernel though.

Glitz.

• 4 weeks later...
U must enable scsi-emulation of the IDE CD drive. Does the command cdrecord -scanbus show any cd-drive ?

After running dmesg I see this output for my CDRW. Is SCSI emulation already enabled or do I have to do something to enable it. I read in the How to's that you have to prevent IDE drivers from grabbing the drive and then enable SCSI. Have yet to weed my way through all the commands to do so. Here is the pertinent output:

hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 4096kB Cache, UDMA(33)

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00

Check that here is my output for cdrecord-scanbus:

cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.

I guess that answers my question. What would be the boiled down method to load scsi emulation for my CDRW?

If you had a CD-RW in your machine when you installed Mandrake, it should have detected it and configured it for you. Try running xcdroast, and see if it lista device.

UDF: Avoid in Linux for the mo.

CD-RWs: Most CD writing software will support blanking these. Writing is just the same as normal.

To enable SCSI-emulation on /dev/hdc, just add that to the kernel append line, in Lilo or Grub:

hdc=ide-scsi

Your CDRW is now /dev/scd0

As for CDRWriting, it is basically the same as for CDRs, except that all burn-software allow you to blank the CDRW media (so that you can start over).

Yves.

I appended my lilo conf. to read as follows:

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdx=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi quiet"

read-only

I can no run Xcdroast but it sees my CDRW as the read and write device. How would I get it to recognize my other CDROM as the read device. Is it better to write to my :/tmp and then write from there or can I read my CDROM and burn directly to my CDRW?

Thank you for your responce

Most (all?) CD burners only recognize SCSI devices. That's why we have to use SCSI emulation. You can perfectly copy from CD to CDR(W). To do that, you only have to also emulate SCSI for it. If your CD reader is /dev/hdb, then also append hdb=ide-scsi to your lilo (or grub) append line. Your devices will be /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 (I don't know in what order...)

Yves.

I appended lilo conf. as you suggested and my hardware list does now see my CDROM as SCSI . When using CD Roast it also appears as a device. For some reason I have lost the ability to mount the device. I can not mount it as root either.