Keyboard number pad not working [solved]

Guest BrianG

Hope somebody can help, I have Madriva limited edition and virtually everything works like a dream. But I hve recently found that the numberpad on the keybopard has stopped working. It used to & I don know when it stopped (i.e. waht I did!) Pressing the Num Lock key turns the num lock led on/off but none of the numberpad keys work, either as cursor keys or numbers. I swapped the keyboard but get the same problem. The control centre tells me that its a 105 key board with UK layout.

ANy suggestions greatly appreciated

Control is only saying what the selected type is set as and not what its detected as.

During the install procedure the keyboard type is default at UK Keyboard but can be set to US or US International (there's others but I can't remember their names). Go into KDE Control Centre------->Peripherals------->Keyboards and make appropiate settings there.I hope this little extra info helps.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Thanks for the help, but I donŕt think (!) this is the issue. I follow the above path (actually the one above just allows me to change various timing, accesability takes me to the keyboard layout), But it is set correctly (I think), the following cut & paste from xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"

Driver "keyboard"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "gb"

Option "XkbOptions" ¨

EndSection

Which is what I think I have (i.e. 105 key UK map)

Num lock turns the LED on/off correctly, but none of the keys do anything. Is there something else I should check?

Many thanks

On Mandriva, there is a "numlock" service, which you should enable (not recommended if using a laptop!). On Gentoo or some other DIY distros, like Gentoo, you should install an analogous service manually. In my Arch Linux it was working like a charm without anything running with xorg 6.8.2, but since I upgraded to xorg 7.0 it's genuinely broken...

I may have to take a second look at it, but for the moment I am not too bothered.

Thanks Devries but I missed that one and you are correct. that is another important section that should be checked.

Since I have never had keyboard problems I had completely forgotten that section.

It sticks in my mind now.

Thanks and cheers. John.

I HAVE CRACKED IT!! It was not the keyboard accesability. At some time under the sytem - configuration- kde- peripherals- mouse I had enabled move pointer with keyboard (numberpad keys). I have disabled that -all is now ok

Hope my newbies/sad experince is of some help to someone elsewhere! :D