new to programming under linux - need help!

uuumm, i don't find the Kdevelop ide for c/c++.

where is it, how is it's ide called?

What do you exactly mean? Is it "you're not able to install it" or "you're not able to locate it in the start menu after successful installation"?

For the first case : the package should be called "kdevelop".

For the second case : the IDE is called "kdevelop". Try running "kdevelop" from a terminal window.

what i mean is all these:

1) i don't find it on the start menu

2) when i type "kdevelop" on a shell or the run command, it does not exist.

3) When i go on the "install package", i don't find any package by the name kdevelop

Well, "3" implies "1" and "2"... If the package is not installed ( and even not installable), there would be no way to run it.

:(

Now, that's serious :-(

It seems that your urpmi/rpmdrake repositories are misconfigured a little bit.

I've given you an answer about easyurpmi.zarb.org in "Installing Mandriva" forum. Go there, configure all the repositories ( you need "main", but all the rest wouldn't hurt as well). Try "urpmi kdevelop" or search for kdevelop in rpmdrake after completing the configuration.

Alternatively : see if your installation CDs are configured as a repository in urpmi. Do configure them in, if needed. Explore them in any file manager, looking for "kdevelop*". If such files ( there should be around several dozens) exist, look for them in rpmdrake as well.

Still NO success with kdevelop :(

i have browsed google and come across an ide which seem to be good.

It's name is VIDE : http://www.objectcentral.com/vide.htm

1) What's your opinion?

2) I have download it's .gz . BUt i'm having problems with installing it. I'm not familiar with installing tarballs. Can you (or anyone here) help?

So far, i have only do this:

tar -xzvf vide-linux-2.00.tar.gz

And this has created a folder named "Home". In this folder i have another 2folders named 'Bin' and 'Help' respectively.

In the Bin i have these '.exe' files: vgen, viconed, vide and a file named as 'vide.xpm'.

In the help file, the installation guide is too straight forward for me :(

I have browsed eclipse, anjuta..but these need their own frameworks. Why use them, when we already have a gcc/g++ compiler already available. All i want is a simple ide to write my codes and compile them by linking the ide with the gcc/g++ compiler.

ok, i'm fed up with IDEs..

i'm using command line ;)

but when i compile it creates .exe output..so how to run that? i mean how can i view my output since the .exe is cannot be open in linux? :(

can anyone help please?

-----------

output problems solved!

Edited by wakish