Wastebin reporting "Malformed URL"

foot

Using KDE 3.4.2 on Mandriva 2006

Whenever I doubleclick the wastebin (to see its contents) I get a malformed URL message - see the attachment below. Now what's weird is that if I use Konq to go to trash:/ then it'll display its contents with no problem. The wastebin icon will also work to empty it's self and everything else - it's only if I doubleclick or right-click/open that the message appears.

It's been going on for a few months - I can't for the life of me remember if there was anything that I did before that could have caused it.

Had a look around and the only suggestion seems to be to transfer everything to a new user profile...which is a lot of work for a problem that is relatively minor and has a work around...soo any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

post-9616-1140362673_thumb.jpg

You could always re-create the desktop entry, and see if it helps versus the old one. Maybe leave the existing one for the time being, and create a duplicate, and see if it works, then delete the old one after.

Hmm..doesn't make any difference. I checked the root account and the wastebin is working there so I copied it over to the user account. The desktop entry for the normal user account is:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Contains removed files
EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=trashcan_full
Name=Wastebin
Name[en_GB]=Wastebin
Type=Link
URL=trash:/

and the root account one is the same, except it isn't localised language-wise - i.e. there are 'Name' and 'Comments' entries for all languages.

The fact that the root account wastebin works fine does suggest to me that the user account has, to use a technical term, crapped up..grr! :(