Help with vnc from Win to Mandriva

Guest snook

Hello

I Need help to get vnc working from a win computer to a Mandriva computer.

I have the computers connected to a wireless router.

And how do I get the local ip adress to the linux computer (In win I get it in the promt by typing "ipconfig")

is there a similar way to get it in Mandriva.

I need a step by step guide

And sorry for the bad english, hope you can understand :)

Edit: I use KDE in mandriva

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Check this site out:

http://www.tightvnc.com/

They have a VNC client viewer for Windows available. There is also a corresponding Mandriva VNC server package available. There are other VNC server packages available for Mandriva as well (e.g., kdenetwork-krfb, etc).

Search the board or google for keyworks tightvnc, vnc server, etc for more info.

tightvnc in Linux opens a new, virtual X session for the remote user.

For VNC sessions "windoze-style" (remote user opening a real, already running X session with a local user already logged in) you must start the x11vnc server, not tightvnc. In Mandriva you can also use x0rfb (project abandoned quite some time ago, but still a Mandriva favorite, for some reason), which is more or less the same as x11vnc.

And yes, KDE has its own "remote desktop" facility, which can be tuned via kcontrol. I think Gnome also has something analogous, but since I don't touch Gnome frequently I won't sware!

Edited by scarecrow

once you get the vnc server running on llinux you can access it from windows using internet explorer . no client is needed

type the linux box IP + the port

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5801 is the first session then i think it goes to 5901 for the next session

once you get the vnc server running on llinux you can access it from windows using internet explorer . no client is needed

type the linux box IP + the port

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5801 is the first session then i think it goes to 5901 for the next session

I can´t get it to work. I have shorewall running, maybe it block the vnc program?

But I is about to test Putty with ssh, but I don´t know if I must install something on the Linux computer?

And if I must conf the the shorewall?

I can´t get it to work.

It works- not only with Internet Sexploiter, but with any browser which has java.

It also applies for a VNC server running on another OS, not just Linux.

Just start from port 5800, which is the default for http, and of course get sure it's open in Shorewall.

Edited by scarecrow

• 2 weeks later...
Guest swapnerd

I am a new member and a relative newbie but this is what I do:

1) Set up the VNC server: on Mandriva start a vncserver session by typing at a command prompt:

vncserver

You can add other options to set up the window geometry, etc. but this will get you started. (do 'vncserver help' for all the options). After entering the above, a message will be shown of the form:

New 'X' desktop is <your hostname>:<display number>

At this point note remember the display number which will be the number after the colon. You need this for step 2.

Also, the first time you run the vncserver app as a user you will be asked for a password. Enter a suitable password and remember this for step 2.

2) Set up the VNC client: on your windoze machine, install tightvnc if you haven't done so already (see the link elsewhere in this thread for where to get it) and then run it. Type in the IP address of your Linux box in the box that comes up followed by a colon and the display no. from step 1. For example:

192.168.1.10:1

You will then be prompted for your password; enter the same password from step 1 and after a few seconds you should get a window with your Mandriva desktop displayed. :D

Hope this helps.

Edited by swapnerd

to add my two cents:

You also have to open ports in your firewall: 580x fo access via Java applet and 590x for access via a stand-alone vnc client. Replace the "x" with the display number from Step 1) of Swapnerd's post. You may want to open a few ports, not just one.

To open the ports, go to MCC-> Security ->Firewall, and click "advanced" button, to enter the ports numbers manually, because VNC ports are not on the list with checkboxes. To enable ports for displays 1 through 5, for instance, add:

5900:5905/tcp  5800:5805/tcp

For stand-alone vnc client and access via java applet, respectively.