What's eating my memory?

javaguy

Please bear with me for a relative newbie question. The only apps I'm currently running are Konsole and Mozilla, and I haven't been doing anything unusual (I don't think) with either, so I'm trying to figure out why I get this when I check my free memory:

> free
		 total	   used	   free	 shared	buffers	 cached
Mem:	   1036016	 960160	  75856		  0	 204288	 327628
-/+ buffers/cache:	 428244	 607772
Swap:	  1903660		  0	1903660

I've run top and didn't see anything noteworthy. How do I figure out what's taking up 960160 bytes of my RAM?

Please bear with me for a relative newbie question. The only apps I'm currently running are Konsole and Mozilla,

The only GUI applications you've opened are Konsole and Mozilla. Other KDE components and console processes use their shares of memory as well.

and I haven't been doing anything unusual (I don't think) with either, so I'm trying to figure out why I get this when I check my free memory:

> free
		 total	   used	   free	 shared	buffers	 cached
Mem:	   1036016	 960160	  75856		  0	 204288	 327628
-/+ buffers/cache:	 428244	 607772
Swap:	  1903660		  0	1903660

Pay attention to "buffers" and "cached" in the first line, and also to the second line. The matter is that Linux tries to use all of the memory it finds available, for system needs ( it would be pretty stupid to do otherwise; why pay for memory which would never be used?). "Buffers" and "cached" numbers reflect this very memory, used not by the applications but rather by Linux kernel itself. In case applications demand more memory, Linux will just use less memory for buffers. So, application-wise, "buffers" and "cached" memory should be considered "free", as it would be allocated to applications upon first demand.

If you look at "-/+ buffers/cache" line, you would see exactly this picture : applications use 428244 K memory, and 607772 K memory are "free".

I've run top and didn't see anything noteworthy. How do I figure out what's taking up 960160 bytes of my RAM?

As discussed above, about 500M of your RAM are taken by the Linux kernel for its own needs ( buffers and disk cache ). Almost all of them are still available for applications. 400M are taken by the applications themselves.