What do you use your systems for?

arctic

What do you use your Linux systems for?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Choose, based on which you use most.

• Office (Writing, Web, Image manipulation)
    • Gaming
    • System development (e.g. Cooker project)
    • Server station
    • Multimedia station (MP3 box, Video editing,...)
    • Other
    • Several of the above (discuss below)

The question says it all. Make your choice and tell us how well your box performs or what you plan to do in the future. :)

I use most boxes as Office machines (writing, web, mailing, photo manipulation) but have one AMD box with an 80GB hdd dedicated to System development for Yoperlinux.

I use my boxes for all the poll choices except gaming (since I'm a gaming retard).

Each box has both Windows and Linux installed, since I do Windows app development.

All the machines have AMD 32-bit processors. No immediate plans to upgrade, but you never know when the upgrade itch may strike (when it strikes, it's like lightning).

I've built all my boxes in the past, but I've been toying with the idea of buying my next machine. Kinda doubt it though, I'll probably go the build route since I want control over the component choices.

Mostly office stuff, if that includes things like writing and publishing web stuff, graphics (Gimp, Inkscape, Hugin), photo management (digikam), GPS data management, and that kind of stuff. Plus phoning (Skype), and some programming (but only apps, not system stuff). And internet access of course (browser, BitTorrent, ftp and email). Is that all under "office"?

I did compile digikam from source last week, but that was an aberration :) By the way, I had a "linux is great" moment yesterday, trying to do a series of global search/replaces across lots of files in subdirectories. The tools find, grep and sed really are amazingly powerful, and got the job done in a flash. I tried to think how I would have done it without linux, and I think I'd be stuck - unless I happened to have some special tool (which I'd have to buy) to do it for me. :thumbs:

I have a main server box running Ubuntu on a AMD 2800 (or something) and a AMD64 main box running Ubuntu32 bit because of plugins !!

Main users are everything but games....

Heaviest use is I always have mail client open, internet etc. and have my projector screen hooked onto :0.1 to I waitch most movies from the PC on the projector and listen to most music this way too.

On a day to day basis I use the following on a MDK 10.2 box - Internet (Firefox), Movies (Mplayer, Kaffiene), RDP (rdesktop & NXclient), FTP local - controlling Hardware Firewall - Smoothwall (gFTP), Crossover (Photoshop MSword :o ) SSH (my best proggie :D ) Superkaramba, GKRellm, ... This all sits on a Dell Optiplex P4, 1GB ram, 40GB HD, USR Wireless PCI using NDISwrapper (another ov my favourite apps..) CDRwriter/DVD-Rom

I use mine for internet browsing/communiocation etc, for Gaming (doom3 and quake) for Work (Open Office and web training) and I try to improve my knowledge using cooker hoping one day I can participate. I dual boot with Windows only to play X3 and X2 and to keep up to date because I buit system for friends and family and most of them want windows preloade...

Stef

Need a multiple choice thingy for the poll :)

Pretty average home user: Internet/email (Firefox/T'bird), video (Kaffeine), writing / data gathering (OOo), editing HTML (errr...Kate).

Occasionally: Music (Amarok), Games (See Tuxgames :) )

Still have to have an XP partition for PSP (sorry GIMP) and Activesync (no equivalent for WM5..yet)

server, desktop, development, enterainment.

I have a few servers (personal, and owned by employer)

My daily desktop (I alternate between gentoo and osx)

all development

my tv run linux (actually I've got a custom built tivo, running linux PPC)

I use this box as a scientific workstation, mainly running very heavy quantum chemistry calculations and in the meantime I'm doing some coding (shell scripting, C and Fortran) for related utilities.

Whilst I'm at work I also use it for general internet duties and preparing journal articles.

The box is a dual EM64T Xeon 3.2 GHz with 4 GB RAM and over 500 GB of hdd space.